Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / feel free slapping my wrist. Honda 2000 usage
optimistic
# Posted: 26 Aug 2013 21:13

I just realized that whenever I am using my beloved Honda 2000 generator I let it run until it stops - when the fuel gets low... then I add more fuel and go again.

Is that bad?????

If it is - I won't do it again!!! ;)

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 26 Aug 2013 21:20

No, it shuts the power down if cycles will vary beyond the acceptable limit and same for voltage. Because it has an inverter, no harm. If it was a non inverter type, it could create issues with your electronics.

optimistic
# Posted: 26 Aug 2013 21:51

So no harm done? Great!

can I keep doing that or I shouldn't test that 'protection option' further.

ICC
# Posted: 26 Aug 2013 22:23

If doing what you are doing includes refueling a hot generator once it stops on it's own, change your habits. Re-fuel when the generator is cold. It is safer even though accidents may be far and few between. A cousin lost an eye fro a fueling accident many many years ago when we were both much younger and invincible.

optimistic
# Posted: 26 Aug 2013 23:06

ICC - learning from others experiences is an important trait to have. I will never fuel it again like this.

Thank you for sharing that.

rayyy
# Posted: 28 Aug 2013 17:50

I must admit,Opt,I just ordered another Honda eu2000i.$899.00.This poor little Generac 1600 watt,chinese made is not long for this world.I think this Ethonal added gas is killing it.I'm gonna use high octane gas with this new generator as well as low ash content oil.Maybe even try this cleaner additive.

MtnDon
# Posted: 28 Aug 2013 18:04

If you are lucky you might be able to purchase no-ethanol gasoline where or near where you live.

http://pure-gas.org/

Another choice would be aviation gas if you have a small airport nearby with a people friendly avgas dealer.

Note that the following are ethanol free...
Alaska, Nova Scotia: all gasoline is ethanol-free.
New Brunswick, Newfoundland, PEI: all premium grade gasoline is ethanol-free.
British Columbia: Chevron 94.
Ontario: Shell V-Power 91; Costco 91; Canadian Tire 91; Esso 91; Ultramar 91.
Quebec: Shell V-Power 91; Esso (all grades).

Dillio187
# Posted: 28 Aug 2013 19:30

Mills Fleet Farm here in the upper midwest also sells ethanol-free gas.

rayyy
# Posted: 29 Aug 2013 17:56

It's so ironic , we had an ethonal plant built in our area.Then corn jumped from $4.00 to $8.00 a bushel over night.Now the stuff is ruinning small gas engines big time.I can't find ethonal free gas anywhere in my area.

MtnDon
# Posted: 29 Aug 2013 18:33 - Edited by: MtnDon

FWIW, from Honda engines website....

What kind of fuel should I use in my Honda engine?

Honda engines are certified and designed to run on regular unleaded gasoline.

Gasoline is allowed, by regulation, to contain a variety of additives. The same regulation limits how much of some additives, such as alcohol, can be included in the fuel and still be sold as gasoline. Honda engines are designed for good performance and efficient operation using gasoline containing from 0 to 10% ethanol.

groingo
# Posted: 30 Aug 2013 09:55 - Edited by: groingo

FWIW, from Honda engines website....

What kind of fuel should I use in my Honda engine?

Honda engines are certified and designed to run on regular unleaded gasoline.

Gasoline is allowed, by regulation, to contain a variety of additives. The same regulation limits how much of some additives, such as alcohol, can be included in the fuel and still be sold as gasoline. Honda engines are designed for good performance and efficient operation using gasoline containing from 0 to 10% ethanol.

Couldn't agree more, for the sake of the warranty when it comes to Honda and Yamaha they have the credibility for me to do what they say and feel confident that it is the right thing for the machine, only thing I did different was to use Mobil 1 Synthetic rather than Honda Oil because it easier to find.

On the flip side as they have shown many times on Jay Leno's Garage, Ethanol can be bad because it makes for a very "Dry" fuel, it lacks the lubricating qualities so I always add some Lucas Ethanol additive to my fuel which puts back the lubricant lost via ethanol just as a precaution, am a big Lucas fan!

rayyy
# Posted: 30 Aug 2013 16:01 - Edited by: rayyy

Hummmmm,,,interesting.Iv'e been told by the Honda fellows to NOT run regular car oil in a small engine.Use their Honda 10w30 oil (with low ash content.)$4.00 a qt.Also use 89 octane gas or hire.

MtnDon
# Posted: 30 Aug 2013 17:06 - Edited by: MtnDon

Ditto the vote for Mobil One oil. I run it in every 4 stroke I have that runs on gasoline that I have owned for the past 30 some years. Everything from dirt bikes, ATV's, generators, pumps, cars, trucks and RV's. It is a better oil for engines that work hard. Here in the SW it is so hot much of the year I do believe it is better for the engine. Grade for grade it is also more slippery and can give better fuel milegage. Some engines spec it because of the MPG factor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rayy it is my strong opinion that dealer is shoveling serious Bull-Shit at his customers! He wants the profit from selling the overpriced ordinary petroleum based Honda branded oil. The Only engines that will need a special 4 stroke engine oil are things like bikes that have a wet clutch and share that clutch oil supply with the crankcase. No wet clutch in a generator.

The Honda EU2000i manual I downloaded has this to say about engine oil choice:

"Use 4-stroke motor oil that meets or exceeds the requirements for API service classification SJ or later (or equivalent). Always check the API SERVICE label on the oil container to be sure it includes the letter SJ or later (or equivalent).

SAE 10W-30 is recommended for general, all-temperature use. Other
viscosities shown in the chart may be used when the average temperature in your area is within the indicated range."

That's from this Honda webpage. Page 28

I know you had a big problem with one of these from what I recall a while back. But that was either pure rotten luck, infrequent oil changes or low oil level that caused the problem. Or perhaps the use of motor oil that did not meet the Honda specs as pasted in above. Every can, bottle or jug of oil I have ever bought has a note as to what API or SAE classification the oil is. Look for the API "Service Symbol Donut"

The S is what gasoline engines use; think spark plug ignition. (Diesels use a C type for Commercial according to API, but think compression ignition if you want). The second letter tells about the service category the oil must meet. An oil newer than an SJ (2001), like SL (2004), SM (2010, early) and the current SN (2010 later). An oil that is rated SN, is also good for any of the older specifications. So if you have a vintage qt oil an SE rated oil, don't use it in anything that requires something later. But SN is fine for every earlier spec.

Anything with a name brand you recognize is going to be low ash these days. Stating Low Ash on an oil label is now a bit like stating "gluten free" on a box of raisins. Of course it is. Marketing Hype. Some oils may have lower ash than others, but there is no official definition for the % that low ash starts with, as far as I know.

OTOH using the Honda branded small engine oil will do no harm to the engine. I do get PO'd at people who tell lies to their consumers though.

Truecabin
# Posted: 31 Aug 2013 17:36

Quoting: rayyy
Now the stuff is ruinning small gas engines big time

has anyone else noticed that women don't have any problem with ethanol gas i think rather than worry all the time and use up the internet bandwidth maybe just ask the wimmin how they are doing it

Truecabin
# Posted: 31 Aug 2013 17:40

when the gas runs out fill it again don't worry about it no smoking no flames its not gonna burn just fill it whenever you want nobody waits till its cold.

some gas cans are better than others some of the new safety styles are not safe they make you spill. i like the ones with the green butt\on on the backside it shuts of in an instant

Truecabin
# Posted: 4 Sep 2013 12:33 - Edited by: Truecabin

Quoting: MtnDon
OTOH using the Honda branded small engine oil will do no harm to the engine. I do get PO'd at people who tell lies to their consumers though.

calling it lies is not fair because nobody knows the truth about anything anymore and they dont care either they just want their lie believed

on the hondas and any oil thats api sj or higher is best but you cant notice any difference from any oil the only bad oil is dirty oil or not enough oil
all fresh oils are better than all dirty oils

dont waste your time there are better hobbys than oil

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.