Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / New member, new cabins, old questions
RLD
# Posted: 28 Aug 2013 11:31 - Edited by: RLD

Hey everyone,
I've been lurking a bit, searching and trying to find answers so I thought I'd sign up and just dive in.
We have 20 acres and built 2 cabins, each have 16x12 main room with sleeping loft that extends roof to 22ft. Picture should give you an idea.
I am in the process of insulating and want to figure out how to best wire for power.
Immediate future will be generator powered but I want to leave the possibility of solar open.
Thinking 5-6 outlets, one above for ceiling fan, internal mounted breaker box with exterior mounted plug for generator hookup.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks!
P1020796.jpg
P1020796.jpg

MtnDon
# Posted: 28 Aug 2013 14:48

You can never have too many outlets. That doesn't mean you have to use them all, but more, spaced around, means it will be easier to plug in whatever grabs your fancy in the future.

You may also want to consider a few outlets with switched halves and a wall switch to turn on-off. When solar is involved that can make it easier to completely power off things that would normally have phantom loads (TV, microwaves and anything with a remote control.)

Personally I would use a exterior service panel in a small cabin. That leaves the entire interior wall space available for other things. The exterior boxes may cost a few dollars more for the same number of circuits, but it is worth it, IMO.

rayyy
# Posted: 28 Aug 2013 17:30

Welcome RLD.I always wanted to be able to walk in the door and turn on the lights,24/7.I also wanted a refrigerator to work 24/7.And lastly cell phone charging 24/7,all with out fireing up the generator.So that is what's on 12 volt dc.My cabin is all 12 volt lighting.Frig is propane and 12 volt.And several ciggerette lighter outlets installed for the cell phone and small fan.I fire up the genny for 120 volt t.v.,computer,big fan,microwave,vaccuum cleaner,toaster,washing machine,sterio,,,anything else 120 volt.This system work's out great for me.Hot water is propane.Heater is propane or wood.Cook stove is propane or wood.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.