Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Cabin - transfer switch for generator & inverter/batteries
sbishop
# Posted: 4 Sep 2013 22:45

hi everyone, newbie here...been looking for a few days but haven't found the right setup.

what i am looking for is a manual transfer switch between a generator and my inverter/batteries at my camp. Nothing fancy just something that will work. i'm only planning on running a few lights, tv, satellite dish and recharge laptop. Plan on using generator when batteries are low...to charge and provide power.

i'm sure 15amp would be enough but if a 30amp setup was only a few bucks more i'd probably go for that.

one thing i was looking at is this furnance transfer switch
URL

If i was to go this route using only a 15amp setup...would this switch work, does it have a build in fuse?

thanks in advance for any help!
Sbishop

Steve961
# Posted: 4 Sep 2013 22:59

An automatic transfer switch would be cheaper than what you're looking at. You can even place a regular AC light switch between it and the generator so it can be either an automatic or a manual. Here's a link:

PowerMax 30 Amp Automatic Transfer Switch

MtnDon
# Posted: 5 Sep 2013 01:16 - Edited by: MtnDon

Do the Powermax ATS. I don't think there is anything less expensive or simpler. And they are reliable. 20 to 30 delay from when it senses generator power to when it switches. Gives the generator time to spin up and settle down.

sbishop
# Posted: 5 Sep 2013 05:09

I did take a peek at the powermax, that was kinda my first choice. I'm assuming I would need a breaker panel too? What would be an inexpensive panel? Thanks for the help!

creeky
# Posted: 23 Oct 2013 08:25

I have the Powermax 75 amp charger. and after a blown surge protector (my fault) ... it's worked flawlessly. so the transfer switch looks like it might make a good add for me. if i ever get tired of doing the manual switch.

i was also able to change the charge voltage from 14.1 max to 14.9 by adjusting a pot inside the unit. very handy for offgrid solar. there is more adjustment room left on the pot. so i could go higher.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 23 Oct 2013 09:03

Creeky, keep those battery voltages at the lower end. It keep battery's cooler, doesn't gas of the electrolyte as fast and increases charge amperage unnecessarily. Run it about 14.1 or so.

creeky
# Posted: 23 Oct 2013 12:18

My (solar) morningstar controller is heading for a target voltage of 15.06. so i feel safe letting the genny run longer getting the charge current up to the higher voltage. puts more power into my batteries faster.

the problem with the powermax is its not really meant for offgrid applications. once it hits the designated voltage it immediately drops to float at 13.6. they have a model called the boondocker ... gives better control on the voltage timing ... but i didn't see it until i had this model installed. rats.

the morningstar watches battery temp. to determine the battery "absorb" voltage. I have the absorb voltage set at 14.7 @ 25 C. The latest numbers from Crown has raised the voltage for absorb from 14.5 to 15. Wow. eh.

I water my batteries 2-3 times in the summer when they're warmer and twice basically in the winter. start and finish. the batteries stay pretty cool. so.

i tell you. having the internet view of my battery voltage (currently at 13.70 with 130 W going in). really teaches you what is actually going on.

one of the reasons I'm so up on the morningstars.

and it's sure changed my understanding of battery charging. when you see your batteries at 15 for 210 minutes ... and see the solar hitting 900 W to get the batteries up to 15v and then by the end of the 3.5 hours the morningstar is only feeding in 170W to maintain that absorb charge ...

pretty cool.

creeky
# Posted: 24 Oct 2013 09:21

i should add ... Crown is Crown batteries.
and the proviso ... don't try this at home. the batteries are cr395s and weight over 100 lbs each. so this is not a small battery pack.

and on a technical note. there's been a lot of research recently into batteries (shocking I know) and last winter there was some interesting stuff published on what is actually happening ... to sum up: high voltage "absorb" and "equalize" modes are your battery's friends.

there's even some talk of lead acid batteries being able to last for a decade and longer with better packs and charging routines ... i'm only on year three, so i'll report back in 5 years ...

MtnDon
# Posted: 24 Oct 2013 10:52

Quoting: creeky
last winter there was some interesting stuff published on what is actually happening ...

links?

creeky
# Posted: 24 Oct 2013 16:13

i surf a lot in the winter. the specific site was probably wind-sun ...

https://www.crownbattery.com/en/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/RenewPower1.pdf

for the new batteries. check out the new grids and matts.

https://www.crownbattery.com/en/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Deep-Cycle-Product-Support -Broch.pdf

of course wikipedia has a lot of good info.

this guy on rv.net has posted the crown info that changed to 15v. i couldn't find it on the crown site which is making me ...

Absorption 14.5
Float 13.5
Equalize 15.5

Email response from Crown re: CR-245 Solar charging profile dec 12.

++++++++++++++quote
Thanks for your inquiry and business with our company.

In reference to your questions we respond as follows:

Temp Compensation - I am using 3mV/deg C/cell.... (.018V/deg C 12V battery): Your setting is fine and requires no changes.

Max range for temp compensated charging: We recommend an operating range from -18°C to +50°C

Length of time to hold absorption voltage before transition to float: Assuming current tapers – 3 hours

Length of time to hold equalize voltage after absorption state completed: 3 hours

High Voltage Disconnect value if required: 16.2 volts

Equalize frequency - Is it required every 30 days or much longer if bank is maintained at a high SOC?: Recommended every 30 days. 14.5V absorption voltage does not fully charge the battery, this value is utilized to decrease maintenance (watering).

- let us know if any other info is needed at this time.

Thanks again and best wishes for success with your system.

John Connell
Crown Battery

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.