Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Best Generator?
Borrego
# Posted: 1 Feb 2010 21:59

Hey Guys - I'm buying a generator to build my cabin and have as a backup power source later on. Any advice? Obviously needs to power an air compressor, Skillsaw, etc, but also needs to be quiet as possible. And reasonably priced!

Anonymous
# Posted: 1 Feb 2010 22:21

Its a gamble but for my camper I went with a Kipor. Half the price or better from the Yamaha. Just about as quiet and true sinewave genset. Not so sure how it works with air compressor and other high start loads but it does power my AC and recharge my batteries when the solar can't keep up.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 2 Feb 2010 21:44

OK, I have had the nosier gensets. No more. I saw a Honda EU2000i running and it was so quiet, I bought one. I needed a bigger one to run my home during outages. Bought the Honda EU6500is. Both the 2000 and the 6500 are rated for the exact same noise level. At full speed, its only 59 DB, and in eco throttle, it can taper down to about 42DB, basically quieter than a normal conversation between 2 people. Its also a inverter type, so it doesnt need to run at 3600 to get the 60HZ (1800 for a 4 pole) it can get the 60Hz at any speed as the AC is cycled by the inverter. But they are not cheap. The Honda EU2000i retails for $1099, you can get it from http://www.bigskypower.com for $899 shipped, no tax. (this is where I got mine from) and I also bought my 6500is from them also. Retail for that one is $3995, I bought it for $3125, shipped, no tax The EU6500is is electric start, has a pull start in case of a dead battery. After owning a Honda, you will throw rocks at everything else.

Now one member mentioned Kipor. There is a Kipor thatr is an exact clone of the Honda. Maybe even made by them for Kipor.
Honda EU2000i
Honda EU2000i
Honda EU6500is
Honda EU6500is

Borrego
# Posted: 2 Feb 2010 22:33

Thanks, guys! I'll go check out the db levels :-)

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 3 Feb 2010 01:06

All my camping buddies have Hondas. I just borrow theirs.

lawnjocky
# Posted: 3 Feb 2010 09:31

I have a 7500 Generac that I have really beat and it keeps going. It must be ten years old and originally it was left out at a well on a ranch I managed. When we sold the ranch I kept the generator. When I say I beat it I really mean it. I never even checked the oil until recently when it started making some noise. Then it took a quart. The noise stopped. As long as I have had it the electric start hasn't worked, probably the battery. I figure who needs it because it always starts on the second pull. I run a compressor skilsaws and table saw off if it with no problem.

I just looked at the prices of Generacs and they are a lot cheaper than the big name companies so why not if it does the job.

Jocko

rayyy
# Posted: 26 Jan 2011 15:55

So,what did you ever wind up buying Borrego?

Borrego
# Posted: 26 Jan 2011 21:28

I bought the Generac at Lowes. It is not as quiet as the Honda, but given my finances when I bought it last year, it was the best choice. After living with it for a year, I am pleased overall.... I built a small shed on the side of another shed and insulated it. I vented it well, and with the door closed, it is very quiet. It has never given me any trouble. So far so good.
Although one day if it takes a crap I would get a Honda :-)

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.