Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Thinking of alternative water systems
graysoc
# Posted: 4 Feb 2010 00:07

I'm thinking of building a small cabin downstream of my uncle's pond on an adjacent property. There is already a pipe I can attach to that will bring the pond water to the cabin site with some measure of pressure, but I don't know how much.

First, I'm wondering if there is some sort of inline filtration or UV filter I can use that would make the water potable. If not, that isn't a big deal, as I can have a well dug and use hand pumps for drinking water.

Second, how difficult would it be to run that water line into the cabin bathroom to give water to a shower and toilet? I have an image in my mind of how it could work, but who knows if it is realistic. I would like to heat the water for the shower using an outdoor woodstove, or maybe have two woodstoves, one indoor, one out and a valve directing the water between the two. That way in the winter I could both heat the water for the shower and heat the cabin, and in the summer I can just heat the water.

Anyway, it is all in my head at this point. Maybe someday soon I can start making serious plans.

I'm new to the site, but I love it.

Thanks,

Grayson

Cheebsco
# Posted: 24 May 2010 16:43

If you're having an issue with potable water, i've been exploring the idea of using a Air-water purifier. These units produce clean pure water from air. I've been looking at the Atmos H2O. A small generator should be able to power it, so it may save time and money in the long run. Search it online to get more info on it. If you are interested in purifying your water, you could take some water samples to find out whats in your water. Alot of water treatment companies offer free analysis and solution options. (I work at one in Alberta, and if you live in western canada I may be able to help). You can turn the water from a Lagoon and make it potable, the only thing to keep in mind is the more junk there is in your water, the more expensive it is to treat.

As some general information to your dilema a fellow may be able to get away with the use of some prefilters (25micron bag filters, or 20mic and 5 mic prefilter) storage tank, and chlorine (or ozone, or UV). This set up would be ideal for water to remove sediment, and kill bacteria. Remember, It is important to know what is in your water.

Hope this helps Grayson

Anonymous
# Posted: 4 Mar 2011 04:12

Cheebsco,What is your opinion on these new "Berkey"water purifiying filters?They claim to remove everything from water.

larryh
# Posted: 17 Mar 2011 13:19

I have a Berkey water filter unit. Its expensive to buy and replace the filters and I am really using it to try to eliminate some objectionable sediment from the local water supply. It does remove most of the minerals that cause that issue and according at least to their literature they are one of the few, or only portable units that remove farm chemicals from the water which is something we have high levels of here in the summer after planting season.. I created a small version of one that is shown in another thread using the old filters I replaced with new ones. It was cheap and pretty easy to construct and gives some extra use from one to someone else who needs it as well.
One thing I do notice about the water run though it. It will stand in a jar for long periods and never taste bad whereas the water from the tap may taste good when first drawn, but after a couple hours on the counter it taste funny. So obviously its removing something that even the city filtering system is missing.

rayyy
# Posted: 18 Mar 2011 05:25

I too,am impressed with the Berkey's.They claim to remove virtually everything that can hurt you.They only can produce small amounts of potable water,though.Enough for cooking and drinking.You can't run pressureized water through them.they are designed to trickle down through the filters.

larryh
# Posted: 18 Mar 2011 09:07

I have not found the Berkey system to be a problem and granted they are designed to produce somewhat small amounts of filtered water. However it produces plenty for drinking and coffee or tea with just a small amount of effort every few days to refill the upper chamber. They are most likely aimed at people who are often off the piped water systems, but in my case although I have water to the house, I don't have any longer anything more than a out let in the kitchen and move the water by pail for all the uses so the Berkey fits my needs well, and the farm chemical removal was a big plus to my mind.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.