Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Wind Generator ?
customrunner
# Posted: 12 Sep 2013 15:28

Hi all been a while since I've posted anything but I have a have been working on and enjoying the cabin a lot this summer I have my solar setup working great but we get a very steady amount of wind and would like to add about 500W wind generator but want to know if there is any things I should look out for, and or what I will need beside the generator and charge controller.
Thanks Chad

CaveShacker
# Posted: 20 Sep 2013 11:58

Hi, Chad. I've given up on wind after years of tinkering with a couple different windmills. Best to check user reviews for any systems you're considering. There aren't may good reviews out there on the affordable systems. I'm tinkering with hydro at my cave cabin site, but otherwise, now only use solar off-grid. What else would you need? A good tower, since wind speed rises significantly with height. Some windmills advertise quiet enough operation to allow mounting on a roof, but most of the user reviews I've read don't agree. Vibration can be very significant, and stress on a roof has to be considered. At any rate, you should install a mill well above surrounding trees and buildings to obtain wind without eddies that would stress the unit and reduce output.

Beware that advertised power is for wind speeds usually in the range of 30 MPH, and at starting speed, you get only 5 to 10 percent of that. Wind angle, directional variability and constancy also affect power output. I've seen low-mounted mills work well where wind channels down an open valley or across an open field, but it's not the norm. Good constant wind, rather than gusty wind, is best, and that's usually found high above all the surroundings.

Good luck!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.