Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / battery usage life
bukhntr
# Posted: 27 Sep 2013 23:27

I have come across a good price on a 35 amp hr battery. I am using it for mostly cfl lighting, maybe an occasional fan but when all lights are on we would pull about 1 amp. I am wondering how long a 35 amp hr battery would last. I also do not plan to put up solar panels at this time. I will charge the battery at home and take with me. Can I charge it with a standard 2 amp trickle charge or do i need something else

MtnDon
# Posted: 28 Sep 2013 00:47 - Edited by: MtnDon

What rate is that 35 amp-hours taken at; 20 hour? The 20 hour rate is what is normally used for alternative energy systems. A rate of 100 hours is used on some batteries and that can be misleading. The other question is whether or not that battery is a deep cycle type or something else. And yet another question is whether or not this is a flooded lead-acid battery, an AGM or a Gel. Do not buy a gel cell. A battery that is not a deep cycle design will have a foreshortened life when used like this.
~~~~
One rule is to never use more than 50% of the battery rated capacity. So the 35 amp hour battery useful capacity has just become 17.5 amp-hours. You can discharge more but that will definitely shorten the battery life by a large amount.

That means with a one amp draw the battery would reach the half ways limit in 17.5 hours. One amp draw seems a little low for a CFL unless it is of very low wattage. One amp at 12 VDC is only 12 watts total.

~~~~
Is that load direct use of the DC current or through an inverter? Inverters have built in losses.

~~~~

Another battery "rule" is that leaving it in a semi to fully discharged state for an extended period of time also shortens the life of the battery. Extended is defined as more than 24 hours.

~~~~
To recharge a battery in a decent time the battery needs to have a voltage of about 14.4 volts applied to it, if it is a lead-acid or AGM battery. A trickle charger puts out less voltage than that; after all a trickle or float charger is meant to supply just a maintenance charge; lower voltage and low current. It is meant to maintain a charge not build a charge.

It could eventually recharge the battery as the battery is of rather low capacity. Might take all week. And remember the note above about decreased life when in a reduced state of charge.

Ideally you would want a charger capable of about C/10 to C/8; C= capacity. So, 35/10 = 3.5 amps to (C/8=) 4.4 amps. If this is an AGM you want to stay at no more than 3.5 amps. But you need the voltage to be higher than a float/trickle charger usually puts out.

~~~~

Myself I'd go with a larger capacity battery to cover expanded future use. Unless I was backpacking it. And it would be an AGM for safety in transporting and handling. Maybe consider LED lights instead of CFL.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.