Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Refridgerator: propane vs electric on solar?
. 1 . 2 . >>
Borrego
# Posted: 29 Sep 2013 19:40

I'm putting in solar this season, yes really.... was reading another site and the guy was running a regular fridge on solar. I'd much rather use the sun and save the gas, but I always assumed that refers consumed too many amps to run off of solar. I may be wrong it seems...
Anyone know how many amps the newer fridges use? And if that makes it feasible for a small solar system?

MtnDon
# Posted: 29 Sep 2013 19:45 - Edited by: MtnDon

Quoting: Borrego
reading another site and the guy was running a regular fridge on solar.

a link.... ??

... and how many cu ft do you want?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 29 Sep 2013 20:27

I did a search for solar refrig's and came up with some info.

http://www.bensdiscountsupply.com/solar-refrigerator.aspx

I like the chest fridge.

This one and I'd add the AC option for when I am running my generator too. Otherwise, 12 or 24V DC from solar charging batteries.

http://www.bensdiscountsupply.com/sundanzerdcr165solarbatterypoweredallrefrigerator58 cuft.aspx

Rossman
# Posted: 29 Sep 2013 21:17

How big a solar system are you thinking? I think you'd need a pretty substantial setup to run a modern energy star A/C fridge...

MtnDon
# Posted: 29 Sep 2013 21:21 - Edited by: MtnDon

In addition to how big (cu ft) we would need to know that ball park for the cost. No sense recommending $1 to $2K fridges (Sundanzer, SunFrost) if they are not in the budget.

Personally I do not care at all for the chest types. They take up more floor space for one thing. It's just a personal dislike; I guess I have to pay (for more power use) because of that.

The good thing is that refrigerators are becoming more energy efficient and at the same time PV panels are still dropping in price. Batteries still are not any cheaper though.

In the realm of "ordinary" refrigerators it is difficult to find ones that are energy star rated to use less than 1 kWh a day. I have seen an 18 cu ft rated at 335 kWh per year; 0.91 kWh a day; about $800. Using one of those would double our use, double the needed PV system size.

~~~

It's not the amps it uses, it is the annual kWh rating under dtandard test conditions that lets you make comparisons.

MJW
# Posted: 29 Sep 2013 21:41

We are using this one:

Frigidaire 14.8 cf

Less than 1kw per day and under $500.

Borrego
# Posted: 29 Sep 2013 21:52

The fridge that MJW is using would be fine for us, both in size and price. I just need to know if that will run on a $1000 - $2000 system. 2 - 4 panels, 4 -6 batteries kinda thing.. All day sun every day 24/7/365 Only other draws will be some interior lighting, maybe a TV, stereo, coffeepot... I'd sure like to be able to use an electric fridge, it's hard for me to get propane to my place (hauling 100 lb tanks in)
Thanks for the replies so far

Borrego
# Posted: 29 Sep 2013 21:54

Link of guy using elec fridge on solar : http://eartheasy.com/blog/2012/07/our-simple-diy-home-solar-power-system/

MtnDon
# Posted: 29 Sep 2013 22:07

The fridge that guy is using is a world apart from the one MJW is using. It is a fridge only, no freezer and being a chest is leaps ahead as far as power use. Apples and oranges for sure.

Without even running the figures I can safely say that the solar/battery system that powers that chest fridge would not come close to running MJW's fridge or the one I linked to. (bigger but more efficient and more expensive).

Borrego
# Posted: 29 Sep 2013 22:14

Ok, thanks.... so I am SOL on using a 'regular' fridge off a simple solar system?

MtnDon
# Posted: 29 Sep 2013 22:15 - Edited by: MtnDon

(Edited text to correct gross error!!)

The Sundanzer 225 model fridges draw 90 Watt-hours a day at an ambient temperature of 70 F according to SunDanzer. That is very good. Now you need to decide if one of them would work for you keeping in mind there is no freezer and that the Sundanzer costs about 3x as much. Then it can be figured how much solar / battery is needed.

Steve961
# Posted: 29 Sep 2013 22:28 - Edited by: Steve961

Quoting: MtnDon
The Sundanzer 225 model fridges draw 90 kWh a day

I think you meant to say 90 Wh per day.

MtnDon
# Posted: 29 Sep 2013 22:46 - Edited by: MtnDon

so I am SOL on using a 'regular' fridge off a simple solar system

Depends on how "simple" is defined

Also depends on how many days of battery capacity reserve you want or need. Do you want to be able to go away for a few days and not have to worry whether the weather will be crappy and the batteries run down, spoiling the food in the fridge as well as ruining the batteries? Would you have an electric start generator with the required electronics to auto start if and when the batteries hit a certain low point. All these things can be covered.

I quickly ran my calculator for a fridge using 1 kWh a day... Allowing for a 3 day autonomy window and a maximum 50% battery discharge it looks like 4 to 6 golf cart batteries would be needed (when configured for a 12 VDC system).

I don't recall where you are but where I am (NM) that would probably need 450-500 watts worth of panels as well. Just for the fridge.

OTOH, a propane refrigerator will cost about $1400-1500 (Servel 400; 8 cu ft) and use about a quart or propane a day, give or take depending on room temperature, etc.

4 -5 years ago the PV panels cost more than double what they are today. Back then we chose the Servel propane fridge. Today it would be a harder call for me. It is getting to the point where I would have a hard close look at the electric.... But then I would not call the system a simple one.

MtnDon
# Posted: 29 Sep 2013 22:48

Quoting: Steve961
I think you meant to say 90 Wh per day.

OOOPS!! You are so right!! 90 watt hours per day.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 30 Sep 2013 03:19

Do you not have electric at your cabin?

razmichael
# Posted: 30 Sep 2013 07:08

The Sundanzer 225 model fridges draw 90 Watt-hours a day at an ambient temperature of 70 F according to SunDanzer.

Any calculations based on this figure (or the other models) should also consider that the testing method (small print on the spec sheet) is with "no door openings". I have to wonder what the actual draw would be under normal use conditions? Add a couple of kids in the mix and the door is likely open more than closed!

creeky
# Posted: 30 Sep 2013 09:32

URL

magic chef 10 cu ft on a 1kw solar system. no problem at all. don't even notice it really. got it on sale delivered for under 400. energy guide says 312 kw/h annual. seems to be using around 500 w/day. the energuide uses a "family" model and I don't open it as often.

bigger than my old propane fridge/freezer. and am saving a bit more than a dollar a day in propane costs and of course, no trips to the propane filling station.

solar is relatively cheap now. go for it.
plus then you can get a washing machine for clothes. and ...

razmichael. I read a review from a "dc" fridge owner with kids and he said he was using 400 w a day.

Borrego
# Posted: 30 Sep 2013 10:23

creeky; thanks, looks good!
Mtn Don: I am in the SoCal desert, and willing to go more than simple to get an elec fridge, I think the overall savings over a few years would be more than worth it

MtnDon
# Posted: 30 Sep 2013 11:03

Quoting: razmichael
(small print on the spec sheet) is with "no door openings"

Dang!! Always read the footnotes!!! Thanks for seeing that. Probably makes a big difference.

razmichael
# Posted: 30 Sep 2013 11:05

Probably makes a big difference

It would with my two boys around. Bad enough at home - "Close the fridge door!" over and over again!

MtnDon
# Posted: 30 Sep 2013 11:12

Mtn Don: I am in the SoCal desert, and willing to go more than simple to get an elec fridge, I think the overall savings over a few years would be more than worth it

I agree, electric is better than gas; today it is more affordable than a few years ago.

I'd look for the fridge that best fit my size and use requirements that is also great on efficiency. Use the energy star find products website. Then look for good deals on ones you like. That was difficult at time as often the maker has models with similar model numbers but they are vastly different inside. Some much more efficient than others.

There's another website for appliance efficiency

Then use that to calculate the battery capacity and then the panel wattage. I can help on those calcs if you want.

At least that is my approach... included (if this was ME) would be a plan to include an inverter that has the ability to auto start a generator, either built in or with a start kit AND the purchase of an elkectric start, remote capable, generator. Honda EU3000i can be used. Then I would not have to worry about prolonged bad weather and being absent. Just my cautious nature.

TheWildMan
# Posted: 30 Sep 2013 11:17

No idea, I haven't used refrigeration in years. ice cream only available in winter

bronco_ed
# Posted: 30 Sep 2013 14:55

If propane is still considered...50 gallon propane tanks are much easier to transport.

MtnDon
# Posted: 30 Sep 2013 18:28

FWIW, by fall 2014 there will be a new crop of even more energy efficient refrigerators. That is when the next round of federal efficiency regs kick in. But I suspect you need a fridge sooner than that.

Borrego
# Posted: 1 Oct 2013 00:04

FWIW, by fall 2014 there will be a new crop of even more energy efficient refrigerators. That is when the next round of federal efficiency regs kick in. But I suspect you need a fridge sooner than that.
I do, but could always move up.....
Then use that to calculate the battery capacity and then the panel wattage. I can help on those calcs if you want.

I may need that...thanks!

davey25
# Posted: 1 Oct 2013 20:45

I've got 40 lb tanks..not very heavy and I like propane...probably more reliable than solar..

MtnDon
# Posted: 1 Oct 2013 23:48

I would argue the reliability factor. A well designed solar system can run itself with little owner intervention. And not require trips to the propane dealer. Don't have to change over the batteries like the tanks must be changed. Mainly I monitor the goings on and check electrolyte levels every three months; usually top up twice a year.

The only reason we have a propane fridge was the cost of the PV panels needed to do refrigeration back when we were planning the cabin systems.

Borrego
# Posted: 2 Oct 2013 21:49

I think the two are a great combination... there are some things that are better run with propane and vice versa. I am just thinking that a fridge is a better fit with electricity (solar). That is, if the power draw is manageable with a modest solar system, hence my original question. i appreciate all the replies....

Rossman
# Posted: 4 Oct 2013 13:45

I don't recall where you are but where I am (NM) that would probably need 450-500 watts worth of panels as well. Just for the fridge.

That's like, 2 panels. Not much really.

Can get a couple 320W's for about 400 bux each...a steal really!

These prices just keep dropping!

FullSpectrumSurvivalist
# Posted: 24 Oct 2013 13:11

When calculating your watt hour for a refrigerator, you should know it only runs about 25 percent of the time, so if it says 100 watt hours it's really only about 25 watt hours. Keep that in mind when calculating power usage. Most it would probably run is 1/3 of the time. If any of you live in a place that it freezes at least for a week at a time each year I know how you can have a fridge and freezer on zero power, but it requires you to be where your fridge is for a few days each year during below freezing conditions. Also keep in mind where your unit is located has a lot to do with how much power it will use too. The cooler the place it is in the less power needed.

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.