Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / sand well point
small cabin dreamer
# Posted: 3 Oct 2013 15:35

Newbie here.
I have a question about putting in a sand well point. If the first piece is a point on 3 feet of pipe how would a person get a foot valve installed at the bottom of a shallow well? Or you couldnt use a foot valve on a well point type of system? Is there a pvc liner that is supposed to go inside of the steel or stainless pipe you drive into the ground?

Just
# Posted: 3 Oct 2013 16:18

I use a check valve at the top of the well. nothing at the bottom just the sand point then enough 1 1/4 in. galvanized pipe to get to the elbow that goes to the pump , or to a hand pump on top of the well .most hand pumps have a check valve in them no need to bye one . There is no liner in the pipe .

small cabin dreamer
# Posted: 3 Oct 2013 18:06

Thankyou for clarifying for me.

PatrickH
# Posted: 3 Oct 2013 18:35

You can also drive the point using 2" pipe and run a pipe inside that pipe also if you prefer.

small cabin dreamer
# Posted: 4 Oct 2013 07:49

PatrickH,

This is exactly what I am asking, If I use the 2 inch pipe do I need a liner inside with this "foot valve"? which the foot valve looks just like the drive point just not pointy on the end but flat.

Just
# Posted: 4 Oct 2013 09:33

Quoting: PatrickH
You can also drive the point using 2" pipe and run a pipe inside that pipe also if you prefer.

I have never seen that done . What is the advantage

PatrickH
# Posted: 4 Oct 2013 11:40

This is how pretty much every single home in built in the 50's was done 2" shallow well with a 3/4 iron pipe inside gives you a big cup to sip the water from instead of a massive straw and no cup there is a special coupler that capped the 2" pipe and supported the smaller pipe they put valves on the smaller pipe regardless what the pump has it keeps the line full I've taken the pipe on these older homes and lifted and pushed and could pump water with just the smaller pipe then of course there was a pump and pressure tank . The way just does it is more of a hand pump situation

Just
# Posted: 4 Oct 2013 11:56

that is what we call a deep well system I have one of them at my home.. must be hard to drive a 2 in. pipe by hand with a 1 1/4 sand point on the end ..

PatrickH
# Posted: 4 Oct 2013 12:35

Use a 2" point ,that's how most do their wells where I built but we are almost all sand very little hard pan at all and I have yet to find a rock bigger than a half dollar , some people have drilled a more convention well but the sand points work well in our area and everyone has grid electricity

PatrickH
# Posted: 4 Oct 2013 12:42 - Edited by: PatrickH

Maybe this will help http://dnr.wi.gov/files/PDF/pubs/DG/DG0022.pdf

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.