Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Profab 100 indoor furnace
rockies
# Posted: 4 Oct 2013 20:37 - Edited by: rockies

Has anyone used an indoor furnace? http://www.profab.org/products/profabproducts/elite/
I think I found one of the smallest ones out there. I want to heat a cabin in the Rocky Mountains with radiant floor tubing, but also heat domestic water and not have to be fueling an "outdoor" furnace in the winter. These boilers are able to be put in small outbuildings so that you can load and clean it easily in any weather. I thought about a wood stove for the just heating the inside of the cabin, but I don't want wood ash indoors or have to lose floor space for a stove that you wouldn't really use during the summer (plus you don't get hot water heating from most wood stoves). I thought of solar for the water heating but most systems aren't big enough to heat a cabin with radiant tubing. This seems to be the best compromise. Fire it up every day for hot water and use the excess heat for radiant tubing in the fall, winter and spring, or just use it for those three colder seasons and maybe try solar just for the summer for just the domestic water. Any ideas or a better way?

MtnDon
# Posted: 4 Oct 2013 22:23

No ideas, but what did occur to me was what is the volume of the system including the radiant floor tubing. It would seem anti-freeze is required. That can add up quickly. It is also used in fire suppression systems where freezing may occur.

FYI, if you did not know already, regular auto anti-freeze should not be used because of environmental concerns if there is a leak. Propylene glycol is used. RV anti freeze is propylene based.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.