Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / How deep is your well?
JMH
# Posted: 6 Oct 2013 10:36

We bit the bullet a couple of years ago and drilled a well to replace our dug well that had to be moved. We're in the mountains and had to drill over 400ft to hit water (it's drinkable, what a treat after hauling water in for years). Just curious how deep people in other locations have to go.

groingo
# Posted: 6 Oct 2013 11:16

Depends on whats under the ground, rocks, ledge, silt etc.
mine was only 139 feet and had great soft water.

MJW
# Posted: 6 Oct 2013 13:32

349 feet here in the Ozark Mountains.

hattie
# Posted: 6 Oct 2013 18:00 - Edited by: hattie

Our dug well is only 14 ft deep. It provides enough water for us, our extensive gardens and our motel guests. So far we have never run out of water.

MtnDon
# Posted: 6 Oct 2013 23:21

I have a friend whose well is 585 feet.

justincasei812
# Posted: 7 Oct 2013 07:39

Ours is 110ft deep with mainly sand on the upper shelf. This makes for some very clean drinkable soft water.

SandyR
# Posted: 7 Oct 2013 08:18

My neighbors well is 110 feet deep in NY.

bldginsp
# Posted: 8 Oct 2013 14:56

My neighbor uphill from me had to drill 250 feet to hit water. The neighbor downhill from me, close to the valley floor, had to drill 350 feet. It's really just the luck of the draw. Be prepared to drill deep. Third neighbor drilled 175 feet then quit for lack of funds. All he spent was wasted.

It's interested that carefully conducted tests have shown little if any effectiveness to water witching, or dowsing, but many people still swear by it. Powerlessness breeds speculative hopefulness.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 8 Oct 2013 21:15

178 feet

jrbarnard
# Posted: 9 Oct 2013 02:09

20+ k to dig a 550-650 ft well.. so no well in our future unless I can figure out how to dig it myself.. heh

Right now, I have about 1200 gallons of water caught off of about 3-4" of rain.

Going to add a 2nd 2550 gallon water tank and we should be good to go in a few months.

Russ

Boxley
# Posted: 11 Oct 2013 12:34

I live in NW Arkansas and don't believe in witchcraft or well dowsers. That didn't stop my neighbors from coming over and walking around witching for water anyway.

I am happy to say that this voodoo might have worked. Using the place where the dowsers indicated, the well spudder (not driller) hit water at about 36 feet. He continued down to 55 feet so I'd have some capacity. Of course, that might have worked in another place too.

It took me over a year to find someone who would dig my well. The spudder showed up with ancient equipment that took forever but it worked.

The water is pale clear blue when it fills my tub. I have enormous gratitude when it comes to having water! heated water! at my cabin. It is a miracle.

I had it tested by the health department and they said that it had bacteria. So for years I hauled drinking water that I purchased at the grocery store. I have since upgraded to a big old Katadyn gravity filter that promises to keep my water safe. Bonus is that my coffee tastes better, too.

http://www.amazon.com/Katadyn-Drip-Ceradyn-Water-Filter/dp/B0007U010W.

sparky1
# Posted: 12 Oct 2013 08:05

My original well was 255 ft it caved in due to earthquake (in va)replaced well 455 ft $$ finally pulled old pump from #1 well replaced pump with a $$ 12--24 volt DC pump -water at 27 ft from surface- pump at 70 ft---I have water off 12 volt battery, filled a 40 Gal water heater.got to have it tested.just to busy.but i have water.
sparky1.

Bevis
# Posted: 12 Oct 2013 23:32

My well at the hunting camp is 10 feet. Has all the water and pressure I need.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.