Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Heat for my 16 x 20
knock
# Posted: 7 Oct 2013 21:57 - Edited by: knock

Thinking up of different heating ideas for my one and a half story 16 x 20(about 540 sq ft with 8 ft ceilings). I plan on installing a wood burning fireplace in about a year, but need something for primary heat for this winter.

Right now my two thoughts are
- baseboard heaters (4 in total, one 8' in each bedroom upstairs and a 8' and 3' on the main level. All located under windows.
- 10 kw electric furnace with a blower.

The baseboard heaters will not take up much space (which is at a minimum), but could be a hazard for my infant son. The furnace will take up a bunch of room and I will have to install duct-work for the supply and return air.

The baseboard heaters with thermostats will likely cost @ $400. While an electric furnace may cost closer to $600.

Anyone been through a similar decision? thoughts and experiences are appreciated.

KSalzwedel
# Posted: 7 Oct 2013 22:25

I am jn a 16×24. My full time home. We have a woodstove and a vented propane heater. Propane heater has been sole heat source used for last two days and night. Cozy!

MtnDon
# Posted: 7 Oct 2013 23:11

If there is utility company power available I like baseboard heaters. Simple installation, no venting.

Google "wall furnace". They fit in a 16" OC stud space. No ducting required for heat distribution, but require exhaust venting.

SandyR
# Posted: 8 Oct 2013 18:40

In our regular home we only have a woodburner, and no furnace whatsoever. It's a renovated 1850 farmhouse that is about 1500 square foot.

Why not just put in the woodburner now?

toofewweekends
# Posted: 9 Oct 2013 01:39

We have the same size place. A wood stove (put in a fence for the little one) provides the main heat. A vented propane heater covers the margins when you want an extra 5 degrees. A fan and natural air movement keeps the heat even enough upstairs in the loft and down.

knock
# Posted: 9 Oct 2013 18:54

Thanks for all the feedback.

I will be putting in a fireplace with a blower in the spring, so I decided to go with the baseboard heaters over the 10 kw heater with a blower.

dfosson
# Posted: 9 Oct 2013 21:45

I used a 20K lp wall heater to heat my 16x24 cabin. It works great and provides more than enough heat. I turn it off when I use the fireplace and kitchen wood stove.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.