Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / On-Grid Wind Power System??
78highboy150
# Posted: 15 Feb 2010 02:48

Hey Guys,

Well I've found plenty of information about making a Off-grid Wind system, but I have not found any information on how to build a On-Grid wind system.

I will be moving into a cabin in Fairbanks, AK here in 1 month, and would like to consider using wind power to offset our electric bill. We will have electricity, but I'd like to have the wind power helping with keep the cost down. We will probably live in this for 3 years while saving for our own land. I will also dismantle this system and take to our new cabin.

The cabin sits in a valley, that has a constant wind of around 9-11 mph, where gusts more around 17-25 ish mph are common. The trees are about 12ft-20ft high, so I know i'd need to get it higher than that, maybe around 25ft-30ft.

Can anyone shed any light on how I would tie the wind power into the cabin, and how would I offset the electric bill? Would I have to use batteries to catch the wind power still, and how would I draw off them and not the normal electric?

I'd also like to keep my cost down, preferably under $1000.00 for the entire setup, can this be done? has any one done it? does anyone have step by step directions??

Thanks
Ben

78highboy150
# Posted: 15 Feb 2010 02:50

Oh sorry,

Also to ad to this, Fairbanks has around 7-8 months of darkness so Solar power during those months would not be the greatest, but during the summer the winds will be less and the days are full 23 hour sun light days for 4 months or so.

I am not closed to the idea of also adding solar panels to this equation, so maybe a dual system would be in order, but 1st I'm more concerned about the wind power.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.