Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Enterprise Wood/Propane stove, a restoration project?
basrijn
# Posted: 15 Oct 2013 20:57

Hello,

Our cabin came with a Enterprise stove that has two wood burning "plates" on the left, and two propane burners on the right. It also has a propane oven. The thing hasn't been used in a very long time with lots of dust build up everywhere. I will need to get all of that cleaned out before considering getting that thing hot again.

The hardware on the propane burners is completely corroded, so I will have to see what I can rescue and rebuild. Not really high priority since the Primus propane camping stove works pretty well sitting on top of it

What has me interested is the propane oven. Unfortunately I didn't take a photo. There is a perforated pipe (the burner) under some sort of a lid that can be kept open with a small latch. The compartment that houses the "burner" is wide open at the back.

Never seen one of those ovens before (but my wife remembers her grandparents having one at the farm) and wonder about two things:

- Do you light the burner and then close the lid? It being wide open at the back, I think it will take in enough oxygen
- You should really only use this when you are around checking it regularly? No fancy safety shutoffs there, so if it would ever lose it's flame, it would just be dumping propane in the room

For the rest the stove is still pretty good looking. It can be seen on the left in this picture: Stove

Google has no info on this stove, hopefully somebody here knows them!

Thank you
Bas

beachman
# Posted: 28 Dec 2013 18:29

We bought an Enterprise wood-propane stove several years ago for our old camp to replace our McLary stove that rotted out. The whole thing was in pretty good shape so we were lucky. It to me the longest time to figure out how the oven worked. In this model, there is a pilot light that has to be lit first before any gas will flow to the oven. When this goes out, the gas stops flowing to the oven -auto shut off. I am able to get the pilot light lit using a small torch and holding the burner knob in with my other hand. I have to turn the burner knob on slightly and push on it to get gas to the pilot light. After about a minute or two, the pilot light will stay lit. Then you can turn on the burner to the oven. It takes a little practice.

adakseabee
# Posted: 28 Dec 2013 19:11

Here is a link that might be of interest to you concerning your stove. They are located in Rhode Island. If they can't help, they probably know someone who does.

http://stovehospital.com/

basrijn
# Posted: 28 Dec 2013 22:04

@beachman: This one is dead simple. No safety features of any kind The good news however:

Rossman
# Posted: 29 Dec 2013 16:23

Man that is a good looking stove.

basrijn
# Posted: 29 Dec 2013 21:51

@Rossman; It's pretty cool.. We had our neighbors visit for the first time, and they asked pretty much straight away if we were using it. They had had an identical one, and it had deteriorated to the point of not being suitable for use anymore, they would love another one.. We had to disappoint them

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.