Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Wood stove question
bad dancer
# Posted: 19 Oct 2013 22:15

Will the Morso 1410 squirell cook me out ?

My cabin is small. I need small clearance and this one seems to be the one for me. With insulated pipe I can get 6". My roof is not insulated. It is simply 2x6 tongue and groove with metal roof. I plan on having 2 skylight s that are 2'x4' which open up.
I figure with the insulated piping I will be better off and it will not give out too much heat. I can always open the door as well.

Here is the link to my castle

http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/6_3952_0.html

davey25
# Posted: 19 Oct 2013 23:20

Looks good to me

davey25
# Posted: 19 Oct 2013 23:21

Depends how cold it gets there too

bad dancer
# Posted: 20 Oct 2013 00:38

Does not get too cold. General winter temps are around -2 to 1 deg overall.

bldginsp
# Posted: 20 Oct 2013 00:46 - Edited by: bldginsp

I have a Morso 1410 Squirrel too, but I don't yet have a cabin to put it in, just a footing for a 300 sq ft. The 1410 is made to heat 800-1000 sq ft. I'm sure it will be too much for my place since I plan to insulate very well. So, I'm going to instal a wall heater as well for the times when it's not very cold, but also because the 1410 is not large enough to burn through the whole night.

Your stovepipe clearance is 6 inches, but if you read the 1410 installation instructions it says 14 inch clearance for the stove itself. Where I am they will allow that to be reduced by 2/3 if I instal a vented brick surround on the walls, which would make the clearance to combustibles 4-3/4 inches. But, the installation instructions also say that in no circumstances should the clearance be less than 8 inches. So I will set the stove 8 inches from the nearest combustible, which will be the studs behind the brick. This puts the stove, at 45 degrees, at 3 inches from the stove corner to the brick. Slicing the numbers tight cause the cabin is small.

I'm very impressed with all details of construction on the 1410. Appears to be very well engineered. So well that it will roast me out if I don't watch it.

bad dancer
# Posted: 20 Oct 2013 01:06

Thanks.
My place is only 11x14
Pretty small. I am choosing this one over the jotul 602 because of the larger window.

Dillio187
# Posted: 20 Oct 2013 10:17

I've always wanted to buy one of these. I might one of these days as my small stove in my 12x16 bakes us out of there if I don't dampen it way down.

http://graystoveworks.com/

bad dancer
# Posted: 21 Oct 2013 23:55

Bought it !!!
Heading up to the island this weekend. Will post a full review when installed. The specs say that I can get 6" to back wall if i use double wall pipe. So here i go. Wish me luck.

MtnDon
# Posted: 22 Oct 2013 00:37

Quoting: Dillio187
I've always wanted to buy one of these. I might one of these days as my small stove in my 12x16 bakes us out of there if I don't dampen it way down.

??? Did you read the liability disclaimer? On it they state...

"Acceptable use
The Mini 12 CT Survival Stove is intended for outdoor use only and did not pass the 2013 EPA testing standards. It is not to be installed inside of any type of dwelling or living space."

groingo
# Posted: 22 Oct 2013 13:16

For tight chimney pipe clearances (2 inches) I went with insulated telescoping pipe.
It has an air space between the outer and inner pipe and the inside pipe is made of stainless steel and is not very expensive (6 feet was $109.00), and looks like ordinary black chimney pipe.

Dillio187
# Posted: 22 Oct 2013 23:19

Quoting: MtnDon

"Acceptable use
The Mini 12 CT Survival Stove is intended for outdoor use only and did not pass the 2013 EPA testing standards. It is not to be installed inside of any type of dwelling or living space."

where does it say that?

it's undoubtably a CYA notice because it didn't pass the stupid EPA particulate tests.

MtnDon
# Posted: 23 Oct 2013 00:13

Quoting: Dillio187
where does it say that?

someplace on their website... maybe it was on or thru the "order" page..

Yes of course it is a CYA. Yes they did not pass the required EPA test. Is it a stupid test? Maybe not... I do know that the air here where we live close to a large enough city is now cleaner than it was 28 years ago. More people, cleaner air did not happen by accident. It happened by design.

Dillio187
# Posted: 23 Oct 2013 10:20

here in the upper midwest, we don't have the issues with wood stoves like I've heard of in California and other areas with valleys. In those areas, I totally understand. Winter tends to be quite windy here, smoke doesn't have time to hang around.

IMO it's a case of what is good for the goose, is not always good for the gander.

I'm still tempted by this stove for my 12x16!

razmichael
# Posted: 23 Oct 2013 10:21

It's a liability form you need to sign before buying Liability Waiver.

I see that they have a short bit on the home page under 'Latest News' for 15 Aug:
"We didn't pass ...again.
She burns clean and safe, it is just that the test is not made for such a small unit. That's okay, we'll get there. We appreciate all the support! What we are going to do is sell it as a NON-CERTIFIED outdoor wood stove."

At least they are attempting to get it certified! It is a nice looking little stove.

Dillio187
# Posted: 23 Oct 2013 13:11

I'd bet money on that little stove burning cleaner than my old Jotul Combifire I'm using in the cabin now.

rockies
# Posted: 24 Oct 2013 21:01

http://www.unforgettablefirellc.com/
you could try a "Kimberley Stove"
A finalist in the Alliance for Green Heat Wood Stove Decathlon

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 24 Oct 2013 21:35

Quoting: MtnDon

"Acceptable use

Don, because it didnt meet emission specs is the only reason it reads "to be used outside only". If it doesn't meet emission specs, they can not sell it for indoor use, but it can certainly work real good for just that.

groingo
# Posted: 24 Oct 2013 21:57 - Edited by: groingo

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
Don, because it didnt meet emission specs is the only reason it reads "to be used outside only". If it doesn't meet emission specs, they can not sell it for indoor use, but it can certainly work real good for just that.

I had a Vogelzang with the same warning and that is what the intention was, then Washington told them if it does not meet Washington specs (higher than EPA specs) you can't sell it in Washington period so, I bought mine in Oregon and brought it to Washington (really crummy stove too).

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 26 Oct 2013 09:06

Groingo, I read reports on it not being that "air tight" and would leak smoke out inside and also suck air and burn up the wood real fast too. They said the same deal. I have a daughter who lived in Oregon and was going to do the same thing (not for that model) but just found a non EPA certified stove on craiglist. :D

Dillio187
# Posted: 26 Oct 2013 16:09

all the cheaper Vogelzang and similar stoves I've seen are basically 2 temp stoves: full heat, or off. They leak a lot of air!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.