Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Propane wall heaters- need recommendations
bldginsp
# Posted: 22 Oct 2013 18:58

This has been discussed before, but I can't find the threads-

What are the better quality off-grid propane direct vent wall heaters?

Any bad brands to avoid?

Tips, tricks, advice, stuff learned the hard way- I want to make the best decision.

I'll be heating 300 sq ft, well insulated, gets into the 20s regularly, I will have woodstove too so this is a supplement, want the smallest I can get away with.

NOT INTERESTED in ventless, though I'm sure they have their place.

Thanks in advance

RMJR
# Posted: 22 Oct 2013 19:11

Housewarmer direct vent from Northern tool, great heater, easy to install, and a great price. Just installed one in my "shed" and it was really easy only taking about an hour and a half start to flame.

MtnDon
# Posted: 22 Oct 2013 20:34 - Edited by: MtnDon

Ditto the Housewarmer. They're made by Empire. Cheaper than Empire as they do not have niceties like remote thermostats and their appearance is more boxy. The concentric pipes need to be trimmed to size whereas the ones packed with the Empire brand name are telescoping, no cutting required.

The customer service number in the user manual gets you to some pretty good people. I called them to find out about re-jetting for altitude and the rep sent me, at no charge, the orifice I'd need for 8800 feet even though I had not bought the heater yet.

FullSpectrumSurvivalist
# Posted: 23 Oct 2013 05:31

I have did the math and the 18,000 btu model will be enough to heat a 53 foot high boy Connex in TN. You would need one per box in case anyone is interested "IN MY AREA" in it for that. I'm not building a cabin per say, but this is the same difference since I will be fully off grid. I wonder how hard it would be to convert the fan motor to 12 or 24 volt. I plan on running as much as possible on 12 or 24 volt. These don't draw to much though, only .2 amps per unit. My place will be super insulated though, so I hope this to actually be over kill at 1 per box.

FullSpectrumSurvivalist
# Posted: 23 Oct 2013 05:34

I have did the math and the 18,000 btu model will be enough to heat a 53 foot high boy Connex in TN. You would need one per box in case anyone is interested "IN MY AREA" in it for that. I'm not building a cabin per say, but this is the same difference since I will be fully off grid. I wonder how hard it would be to convert the fan motor to 12 or 24 volt. I plan on running as much as possible on 12 or 24 volt. These don't draw to much though, only .2 amps per unit. My place will be super insulated though, so I hope this to actually be over kill at 1 per box.

Popeye
# Posted: 23 Oct 2013 05:44

I ordered the Housewarmer 18k BTU yesterday. Cheapest price I found was from Menard's. Without a blower was $409, with a blower was $709. The same blower can be purchased separately from Menard's for $99. I will be installing the blower myself.

FullSpectrumSurvivalist
# Posted: 23 Oct 2013 06:47

I found it on Northern tool's page last night with the blower on sale for $499, it always happens like that right?, lol. Is that fan you are talking about 110, or is it 12 or 24 volt type?

FullSpectrumSurvivalist
# Posted: 23 Oct 2013 06:49

I found it on Northern tool's page last night with the blower on sale for $499, it always happens like that right?, lol. Is that fan you are talking about 110, or is it 12 or 24 volt type?

FullSpectrumSurvivalist
# Posted: 23 Oct 2013 06:56

Internet it acting up tonight, it keeps double posting for some reason, just delete the double posts it won't let me.

Popeye
# Posted: 23 Oct 2013 08:02

Fan is 110

bldginsp
# Posted: 23 Oct 2013 08:05

Does anyone have the 8,000 BTU unit, if so, how many sq ft does it heat, how cold where you are, how well insulated is your space?

The Housewarmer 8,000 btu specs say it will work for up to 250 sq ft. I plan to use it as a supplement to a woodstove in 300 sq ft, well insulated, temps in 20s. Still, at 4AM, it will have to keep the temp up in the cabin til I roll out of bed and throw more wood on the fire.

The 18,000 BTU unit is only $100 more, but I'm concerned about propane use on the long term.

ShabinNo5
# Posted: 23 Oct 2013 09:43

bldginsp,

We installed a Home Comfort DV8L. It does not have a fan and is rated to only 7500 btu's. When it was running it raised the temp about 20-25 degrees. The outside temp was around 32 and the building has a foot print of 10 X 20 with a loft where the open area from floor to peak is 16 feet. The roof was insulated and the walls were open studs (with OSB and T1-11 siding installed).

IMO you would be fine with the 8,000 BTU unit. The temps may be a bit chilly when you wake up, but keep in mind that the 18,000 BTU unit only throttles down to around 9,000 BTU. With the smaller unit you have a greater range of regulation between that and the wood heat.

project_north
# Posted: 23 Oct 2013 11:34

I have the 8,000 BTU unit and it keeps me toasty in my 108 sq. ft. to easily -10 C / -15 C. I have 2x4 construction insulated. The underside is insulated with Roxul as well.
It struggled over night when the temp dipped below -20 C.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.