Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Pump help
Interested
# Posted: 27 Oct 2013 10:06

New here and see this is the place to look for information. I am setting a 475 gallon tank under ground in a pump house setup so there will be no dirt around it. I will be running a short line to my cabin which already has good fall to it but not quite enough to be gravity fed. Would like to use a 12 volt on demand pump along with a frost free hydrant I will have set up in the cabin. It is just a weekend get away so all I need is simple. What make of pump and what make of simple but yet cost effective solar set up will work best for me? Does some of that stuff out of Northern tool work well? Thank you

bldginsp
# Posted: 27 Oct 2013 10:13

I don't know much about this stuff but if you google 'solar well pump' you'll find several businesses that specialize in this sort of thing. Ranchers in Texas use small, low power, low flow solar pumps in remote areas to pull water for cattle. Some take only one or two solar panels. The technology is there, but you need to design it well. Other posters on this site can help you more.

Good luck

Interested
# Posted: 27 Oct 2013 14:24

I am just pulling this out of a cistern that I will haul water to. It will not be lifting water out of the ground. I should be more specific and ask, are the on demand pumps on line like the ones in Northern Tool adequate for my application.? Do I get a trickle solar charger to keep my battery maintained? Do I buy a marine battery? This will just be an occasional use outfit.

rayyy
# Posted: 28 Oct 2013 17:15

I know my Shurflo pump pull's water out of a tank that is 5 feet lower than the pump.They claim to be able to pull water up some 8 feet in elevation.A trickle solar charger wouldn't hurt in keeping your battery fully charged and Yes to a marine battery as opposed to a regular car battery.This is how my water supply system works.

Interested
# Posted: 29 Oct 2013 09:09

Thank you for the help. Just from reading on this site it looks like there are several ways to do things. Mine can be pretty simple as like I said it will be a weekend get away. My tank will be completely out of the sun. If I do start to get some algae growing, about how much Clorox do you dump in per gallons of water? Or is there something else that should be used?

razmichael
# Posted: 29 Oct 2013 09:43

There have been a number of threads about filtration and disinfecting water. Using bleach, from CDC CDC Ermergency Disinfection "Add 1/8 teaspoon (or 8 drops) of regular, unscented, liquid household bleach for each gallon of water, stir it well, and let it stand for 30 minutes before you use it. Store disinfected water in clean containers with covers."

Keep in mind that household bleach will lose some of its effectiveness fairly quickly (within 6 months of manufacturing) so, given how cheap it is, suggest you purchase fresh on a regular basis. Another option is the use of granular calcium hypochlorite (Pool treatment) to mix up fresh 'bleach'. See this thread for instructions Water Treatment. This is a two step process - mix the granules with water to make the disinfecting solution then mix the solution into your water. The best thing about this process is you can mix up a fresh solution often and the granules store forever (almost). On the other hand, picking up a fresh bottle of bleach on your way up to the cabin is also easy.

If your only concern is algae you may end up playing with the various amounts to see how little is needed. Perhaps a little more often is better than a shock type treatment when the algae risk is low.

For general information on the various threats and best methods take a look at CDC Backcountry water treatment. Your concerns will depend on the water source and your use of it.

scout100
# Posted: 3 Nov 2013 02:24

Wal-Mart sells the 16 oz bags of crystallized or powder form pool shock. ( $2.88 a bag ) Its essentially bleach, but much stronger. I have had much better success with this at keeping my water crystal clear. I just broadcast throw a few tablespoons into the water, every 4 or 5 days.. This does 1200 gallons for me and the 16 oz bag last me almost 2 months.. My water storage is in a small 1200 gallon INTEX swimming pool with a large tarp over the top. No freeze worries, I'm down south.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.