Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Battery charger
toofewweekends
# Posted: 30 Oct 2013 23:22

It's getting to be the season where the solar panel doesn't do much, and I need to get the batteries fully charged via a Honda 2kw and a charger. I've been charging with the little 12v cord that plugs in the generator, but that's not really adequate even for a pair of gold cart batteries.

Staying on the cheap side, what do you like for charging? I was thinking of something like the Iota 35amp charger, but could also just go for a less spendy car battery setup from Sears or Napa. Ideas for a small 200ah "system."?

MtnDon
# Posted: 31 Oct 2013 00:54

The formula for determining charger amperage is C/10 or C/8

C= amp hour capacity of battery

200 amp-hour: C/10 = 20 or C/8 = 25
so 20 to 25 amp charger
3 or 4 stage type is best, like an Iota. Nice thing about Iota is they can be stacked if you get more batteries. Have to be same model/amperage plus an accessory.

creeky
# Posted: 31 Oct 2013 09:26

the powermax that i'm using is certainly cheap. look for the "boondocker" model it has a higher boost mode.
the pm3 i have has 3 charge stages, float, normal and boost. what i like is the little pot inside the box is adjustable. i run mine at 14.7.

glcarr
# Posted: 31 Oct 2013 15:26

I use the Genius brand they are great for deep charging of your batteries so they will last long on a charge. The best part they are dummie proof.
Check out their site they have one to fit everyone's budget. http://www.geniuschargers.com/shop?gclid=CPfc86XmwboCFWuCQgod0jEACQ

toofewweekends
# Posted: 4 Nov 2013 01:53

Thanks for the info and ideas.

MtDon, if I go with an Iota 30 amp (I think the smallest they make), am I setting myself up for a problem? Or is the Iota smart enough to avoid causing harm? I like that one, because I do see myself adding to the system in awhile as we are able to spend more time at the cabin.

MtnDon
# Posted: 4 Nov 2013 14:39

Quoting: toofewweekends
go with an Iota 30 amp

should be okay but watch the battery temperature for a few times

creeky
# Posted: 4 Nov 2013 15:24

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.