Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Septic/Bathroom Alternatives
MyLittleSpace
# Posted: 22 Feb 2010 18:44

Wondering if anyone has ideas on an alternative to an expensive septic system. Recently called around and was getting $5k-$6K for a 2 bedroom cabin system. Just bought the place and although there is a room that will eventually be a bathroom, $5K is a little steep to spend right now on a weekend retreat. I've seen these toilets that compose under the structure but they are relatively expensive at about $3K. I know everyone will suggest an outhouse, but I was hoping for an indoor alternative. With spring fast approaching, any ideas would be welcome. Need to get the ball rolling so I'm set for the summer! Thanks!!

Anonymous
# Posted: 22 Feb 2010 22:00

I know I have seen a post or 2 on this site about such systems.
search the forum here,, http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/index.php?action=search
then check this out.
http://humanurehandbook.com/videos.html#digging

Anonymous
# Posted: 25 Feb 2010 09:13

Check out the Nature's Head composting toilet. I used mine all last summer and was very pleased with it. There is virtually no smell. It is easy to set up and simple to maintain. The company was fabulous to deal with and the cost was about $900.00. Much cheaper than other brands I researched. Basically, I can't say enough good things about the product or the company.
Website is: www.natureshead.net

karlscabin
# Posted: 8 Mar 2010 13:06

Anonymous is correct! I have seen most models in action, and used some. The abosolute best buy for simplicity, durability, and EASE of installation goes to Natures Head (R) Marine style compost toilet.
No, I don't sell them or work there, have just pooped there... 8-)

SmlTxCabin
# Posted: 6 Apr 2010 21:13

I have heard nothing but good things about Natures Head. That is what I am planning to purchase to put in my cabin soon.

Vince P
# Posted: 8 Apr 2010 10:53

Take a look at my posts in this thread:
http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/3_423_0.html

rayyy
# Posted: 23 Jan 2011 12:41

interesting Vince.I know rather than spend 800 bucks,I can get my hands on everything to do what you did.How do you get from toilet to tank ?and how do you detatch it and cap off the hole to rotate it?I also plan on building it in an insulated compartment to keep it from reaching freezing temps in the winter time.What do you think?

larryh
# Posted: 24 Jan 2011 23:41

I know we have other treads about it here, but rather than going to the expense of a septic system if you do some study on the sawdust potties they make quite a bit of sense. I have used mine now for at least a month and found it odorless and simple to dump. Although since I started it in winter I didn't have a composting bin set up for it as yet but will in spring. I am using some cheap garage cans as a temporary receptacle till I can make the permanent one. Plus you can't beat the price of installation.

Vince P
# Posted: 26 Jan 2011 17:20

Quoting: rayyy
How do you get from toilet to tank ?and how do you detatch it and cap off the hole to rotate it?I also plan on building it in an insulated compartment to keep it from reaching freezing temps in the winter time.What do you think

I'm in the process of improving this homemade system to accomodate heavier use. I'll post blow by blow pictures when I get them together. Stay tuned.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.