Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / 2X 17 amp Hour enough for anything?
Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 31 Oct 2013 00:08

Hey All

Someone gave me two batteries from a electric lawn mower. they are both 17 amp hour 12 volts.
Are these enough to power a 12 volt water pump? anything else?
How best can I use them?
thanks

Truecabin
# Posted: 31 Oct 2013 01:48 - Edited by: Truecabin

probably more than enough to drink but not a shower

for a cabin look for 100 amp hour that will get you started 34 amp hour is very small capacity even for a small cabin

they would be good for led lights

TheWildMan
# Posted: 31 Oct 2013 09:44

I keep a couple that size at my place, lawn and garden batteries. I keep a couple of my older and smaller panels trickle charging them and use them for lights in remote locations like the woodshed or outhouse. I make a habit of stripping parts out of old cars before the scrap dealer takes them. the dome lights run on 12 volt and have on off switches. a couple feet of wire and some other parts and you can rig up the lights anywhere, and with a trickle charger (5 watt or 10 watt cheap ones) those batteries provide independent power for odd locations. fully charged i can get 12 hours of light out of one before needing to charge it. with an inverter or adaptors they can run some things like small power tools for a very short time (i ran a drill and jig saw off one for about 2 hours) i also used one to jump my old Toyota truck. the truck battery was bad but until i could replace it i jump started off a lawn battery, got 4 jumps before needing to charge it.

hope this gives you some ideas on how to use them. they are great backups and electric for woodsheds

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.