Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / hard start kit for window AC? I only understand it partially
optimistic
# Posted: 7 Nov 2013 18:45

Around here when winter comes people give away ACs left and right. I wanted to get one now for my cabin in case I want to use it next summer... It will runn off my Honda 2000.

Anyhow, in my search of what size ac can a honda 2000 run I came across someone mentioning that if you but these hard start kits on the ac - you can run a large AC on the honda... As far as I can figure out right now - it reduced the up-charge from when the AC kicks in but I might be wrong.

can someone shade some light on this?

MtnDon
# Posted: 7 Nov 2013 18:56

You should not need a hard start kit unless you buy an A/C that is much larger then what you need for the cabin you have. An A/C in the range of 5000 - 7000 BTU should be sufficient I believe. One of those can be started by the H-EU2000i if both the A/C and the generator are in good shape.

MtnDon
# Posted: 7 Nov 2013 18:58

... and if you buy too large an A/C unit for the building it is inefficient, may be difficult to find a comfy thermostat setting without overcooling and it will cycle on-off more frequently which will make it wear out quicker.

optimistic
# Posted: 7 Nov 2013 19:09

Thanks Don!

We had a 5000btu in there last summer for one day, without insulation yet, and it barely made a dent in the temp.

I always heard that when it comes to ACs the bigger the better as it will be so easy for the ac to cool the place down that it will stay off for much longer - saving on energy usage....

Same logic with aquarium heaters (I used to be a hobbyist) - the bigger the better. It will keep the temp steady just fine like a smaller one but will work a lot less to do so and save energy doing that.

What do you think? Also, those kits seem to cost anywhere from $13-25 on Amazon... If I get the AC for free it will make it very cheap project all together.

MtnDon
# Posted: 7 Nov 2013 19:55 - Edited by: MtnDon

You are right in that an A/C that is too big will cool the room down more rapidly. The catch though is that the A/C may not run long enough to lower the humidity enough and leave the air feeling cool but clamy. A/C's remove humidity as well as provide cool air. If your weather is as humid as I remember August in Binghamton you may want to think carefully about going oversize.

A too big A/C will start and stop more frequently; not run less. The start current is greater than the constant run current. More starts per day = more power use.

5000 BTU is generally recommended for up to 150 sq ft... insulation varies so that is just a start point.

Links that came up on a search for "A/C too big for room"

http://electrical.about.com/od/heatingairconditioning/qt/airconditionersizing.htm

http://www.affordablecomfort.net/home-resources/buying-an-ac.html

http://www.energystar.gov/?c=roomac.pr_properly_sized

That's what I think... a heater as in an aquarium is a resistance load. Those are more linear with less of a peak surge when the thermostat turns on the heat. The compressor motor in an A/C, a refrigerator or an air compressor has a huge surge compared to the heater. That is what prompted the first question, right?

MtnDon
# Posted: 7 Nov 2013 20:05 - Edited by: MtnDon

Similarly, a wood stove that is too large will be able to heat up a space more quickly. But later when the space is warm it is too much. Too large a wood stove won't let you load up the firebox w/o having to choke down the fire and make an inefficient burn. Or the space overheats. That is why our cabin has a wood stove and a propane heater. Together we warm quickly and then go with one or the other depending on outside temperature or our own desires.

A/C is similar is sizing for optimal operation.

optimistic
# Posted: 7 Nov 2013 21:03

I see. Thanks for the explanation. Great info as always Don. I think I'll try to find a 6000-6500 ac unless you think that is a really big over kill. My space is 144 but very high and that 5k didn't do ANYTHING... Honestly, I can probably get two free ones (5 & 6.5k) and see what works better.

But regardless, no need for these hard start kits? Seems like everyone in the rv world who run their show on a 2000 Honda install those capacitors....

MtnDon
# Posted: 7 Nov 2013 21:45

My BIL runs a 6000 BTU in a tiny trailer off a Yamaha 2000 inverter just fine.

I would get a couple of freebie A/C's and give them a shot off the Honda. You will know it right away if the EU2000 can't make the A/C start properly. We run a 10,000 BTU of our 2800i Yamaha with no problems at all. It uses roughly twice the amps of a 5000 BTU A/C and has less than twice the output of the EU2000i.

The 2800i does not like to start a bigger A/C (13.5 BTU) above 10000 feet, but will with "eco" turned off. I will be surprised if the EU2000i will not start a 5-6000 BTU A/C where you are located.

G/L

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.