Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Tricks for lighting a direct vent wall heater.
ShabinNo5
# Posted: 9 Nov 2013 20:14

It is currently blowing 15+ outside and the pilot will not light. When the inspection cover for the pilot is removed the breeze blowing through will blow out a match held 4-6 inches away.

Any ideas how to overcome this situation?

MtnDon
# Posted: 9 Nov 2013 20:56

Hang a coat or something on the outside vent, light, remove coat

groingo
# Posted: 10 Nov 2013 10:09

Butane lighter, there should be a wind shield around the pilot light, if not it either fell off or you need to build one, no fun if the thing keeps blowing out who knows when.

You may also want to put a mesh screen on the chimney pipe to diffuse the air so less can blow back.

ShabinNo5
# Posted: 11 Nov 2013 08:20

Thanks for the responses.. I have more to learn about this system.

On Sunday morning we tried again, the wind had dropped to 5, with a coat over the outside vent and a door open, the draft was reduced enough to insert a match.

This has got me thinking that there should be a better way to resolve this problem. In our case the heater is installed on the north wall. Unfortunately when the heater is needed the prevailing winds are likely to be out of the north north west. I was thinking of manufacturing a baffled wind block. I will post my design when I have worked it out.

trollbridge
# Posted: 11 Nov 2013 11:10

Hello!
Hope you come up with a workable solution....heat is not an option around here, is it????! It's been very cold with the strong winds. I think you will find something that will work for your situation. A little tweaking on a guard of some type should do the trick. Have you been up working a lot on your place? I would love to see updated picks when you get the chance. I know you really don't care to spend another winter staying in the camper if you don't have to.

ShabinNo5
# Posted: 13 Nov 2013 06:51

Trollbridge,

Still working on the solution, and yes the winds last weekend were brutal. I will post an update on our thread shortly. This summers activity was building a roof over the deck.

Dillio187
# Posted: 13 Nov 2013 08:09

I have the same problem, I wrap a garbage bag around the outside vent and use a small propane torch through the light hole. The torch warms the inside air and reverses the draft.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.