Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / A helpful Battery Comparison
groingo
# Posted: 13 Nov 2013 10:49

I found this from Crown Battery where they show the clear differences between their battery and the "Other".

Good food for thought when it comes time.
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/wind-sun/Crown-skindeep.pdf

Rossman
# Posted: 13 Nov 2013 15:44

Interesting. I wonder who the "other" battery company is.

Also I wonder if any of this is meaningful or if it's just some dumb marketing crap.

razmichael
# Posted: 13 Nov 2013 16:27

Quoting: Rossman
Also I wonder if any of this is meaningful or if it's just some dumb marketing crap.

As they do not name the other battery then, whether true or not, it is only as good as any other dumb marketing crap.

groingo
# Posted: 13 Nov 2013 17:36

I know for a fact Crown manufactures for a company called Budget Battery and until yesterday I wondered how their battery could be sold for nearly half of a Trojan and that is when I found that Trojan used 10 plates per cell while the Budget one used 8 yet still claimed 235 Amp Hours.

I had the Budget version two years ago and returned them because the didn't hold a charge as they should, now I know why.

Just pays to look deeper now days and never trust what they say.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 13 Nov 2013 18:45

One of the largest and best battery companies is Johnson Controls the HVAC controls company. They do not make batteries under their own label. Die Hard (mostly) InterState, and Duralast are some of their names. They also own Optima

Also one of the biggest and one of the worse is Exide. They make cheap to sell but crappy batteries often produce in third world countries. Many of these too go by relabel names too but you can find Exide. They filed bankruptcy this is year. Go figure

Just
# Posted: 13 Nov 2013 21:56

Just changed this one last weekend,6 years not bad for Walmart. Replaced it with the same thing except a little larger .180 amp. HR.
140 amp hr.
140 amp hr.
6 years
6 years

MPL
# Posted: 17 Dec 2013 20:48

Consider Concord AGM or UPG AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) in appropriate AMP Hour size. A couple of 12v "deep cycle" AGM batteries wired for 24v with small 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter and you have power. Upgrade to combined battery + solar inverter + 200 watts of solar PV (electric) and you have power for coffee maker, tunes, phone charging and lights as needed. Let me know what loads (appliances, etc) you have or want and I can size the amp hour requirements for you.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.