Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Mound septic system in an off-grid environment
Flying Wrench
# Posted: 15 Nov 2013 17:30

I am looking into buying property that already has a mound septic system installed. It is my understanding that mound systems require electrical power to occasionally pump water. How much power do these systems require, and how long do they run?

I have been told that the current septic system may require some work in order to be certified (the realtor told me that it may pass an inspection, but that I should not get my hopes up). How feasible would it be to just dig a big hole and fill it with soil or sand and gravel that is more conducive to a regular single tank septic system?

RidgeRunner
# Posted: 15 Nov 2013 17:49 - Edited by: RidgeRunner

You'll need to provide more specifics to get the best answer(s.)

I have a gravity-fed mound system which douses without electric.

My brother has one that douses with a pump.
Electrical requirements aren't much because it only douses periodically depending on use.

If you intend to install an approved system you need to talk to local authorities because the rules and specs vary from locale to locale.

MtnDon
# Posted: 15 Nov 2013 18:14

Mound systems cost more than the traditional septic systems. Therefore there must have been a reason that a mound system was installed in the first place. The usual reason is that the land is NOT suitable for a traditional system. Be very careful about buying that unless it is a great price so you can do whatever is necessary with the mound septic. Best would be an offer to the seller to have them bring the septic up to whatever standards must be met.

RidgeRunner
# Posted: 15 Nov 2013 18:23 - Edited by: RidgeRunner

The cost will depend on the system requirements be it conventional or otherwise.
My mound turned out to one one of the smallest in terms of engineering.....~$6,000 total cost.
The reason I had a mound installed is because there's less chance of something going wrong. The failing leach fields you see in some areas scared me away from a conventional system.

Flying Wrench
# Posted: 15 Nov 2013 20:24

The most specific information I have at the moment is that the existing septic system was installed in 1999 and designed for a 3 bedroom house. There is an electrical outlet out there, so I'm pretty sure that it has an electric pump.

I was told that if the septic is not in an acceptable condition, I would have 18 months to rectify the situation. I am in no particular hurry to start building a home requiring a septic, so as I see it the worst case scenario is that I have to dig it out and install a new system in 5-10 years.

HoosierDad
# Posted: 15 Nov 2013 23:59

I guess it's not clear, but is there a home on the property you intend to occupy?

If so, worst-case scenario is you get stuck with a $20+k bill to re-build a complicated system - or you get your house condemned if you don't comply.

As was stated, very few people pay for a mound system if the soil percs for a traditional system. So the mound is already a big red flag for you.

But if there is no home left (or a just a trailer or something you plan on getting rid of), and you don't plan on building anything near-term, then, yeah, you can probably ignore it for now.

But you should figure out what your costs will be down the road. I recommend getting a perc test done before buying any property - and if it comes back bad news, get quotes on the cost of what option you have left before you invest in the land.

PA_Bound
# Posted: 16 Nov 2013 09:44

I would suggest you make the purchase contract contingent on results of having the current septic system inspected. You need to understand what is going to be required (and the cost) of bringing it up to current, as that should affect your offer. But get the inspection done so you understand what you are dealing with. It will probably be much easier to get a permit once you have fixed what you have, than for something else.

If it has a sand mound, that is for a reason. As noted, it is probably because the geology of the land does not qualify for a traditional system like that you want to replace it with. So you likely will not get a permit for doing what your propose. I'm am going to take exception to those who say this is a "red flag" on the property, and suggest it is more a toned-down "the price of doing business these days". Sand mound systems are more expensive and more maintenance-prone- no doubt about it. But in many areas (especially here in the east) they are the only option for a septic-based residence. When I had my land perc'ed, I was told from the beginning that it would likely require a sand mound as a traditional system had not been approved anywhere in the entire county for years. Newer regulations have made the geology of almost the entire county unsuitable for traditional systems. Surrounding counties were similar, so the only option I had was look for land in another state with less restrictions and/or more suitable geology- but I didn't really want to do that.

RidgeRunner
# Posted: 16 Nov 2013 09:59

Quoting: PA_Bound
I'm am going to take exception to those who say this is a "red flag" on the property

I agree....sand mounds are pretty much the norm in my area....it's been that way for years.

bldginsp
# Posted: 16 Nov 2013 09:59 - Edited by: bldginsp

You imply that you believe you can dig out the older existing system and replace it, as in replace the soil in the ground with soil that will perc. Never heard of that. Is this a common practice?

HoosierDad
# Posted: 16 Nov 2013 14:07

Point taken on whether or not a mound system is an automatic red flag. My area is fortunate to have good soil, but I realize many other areas have more limited options.

Like everything, this situation is really going to be dependent upon local conditions, laws, regs, etc.

RidgeRunner
# Posted: 16 Nov 2013 14:12

Quoting: HoosierDad
Like everything, this situation is really going to be dependent upon local conditions, laws, regs, etc.

That's for sure!
We can bloviate all day but it's of no use if it's not permitted in Flying Wrench's area.

Flying Wrench, I recommend looking for a handbook about onsite sewage systems in MN....most states have them...they're very helpful.

Flying Wrench
# Posted: 16 Nov 2013 22:28

thanks for the responses. I will definitely look into that handbook.

There isn't a house on the property anymore. It burned down a while ago.

creeky
# Posted: 17 Nov 2013 08:24

can you call the folks who installed it. they're probably local. as noted, an inspection would be money well spent.
why is it that septic folks always seem to have good dispositions.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.