Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / recommendations for a cheap mppt controller
creeky
# Posted: 21 Nov 2013 11:20

i'm sourcing the materials I'll need for my portable bedroom/sit.

For power I have an extra 48v solar panel. a 12v puresine inverter. i'll buy a couple of el'cheapo 6v batteries. so I need an mppt controller to grab my 250 watts and turn them into 12v battery charging.

i found this one
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/40A-12V-24V-48V-Intelligent-MPPT-Solar-Charge-Controll er-for-Increasing-Module-Efficiency-30-60-with/804012867.html

still. 300 bucks to the depot.

i had thought I could get a cheapy for 200 or less. but you quickly find out they want 12 or 24 v panels. not 48.

ideas? discoveries?

Dillio187
# Posted: 21 Nov 2013 11:44 - Edited by: Dillio187

your 48 V panel is 250 watts? I've never seen one of those before.

ouch on the shipping for that controller, 50 bucks?!?!!

I did find this one, but it is likely cheap chinese junk, so use at your own peril.

http://www.amazon.com/Tektrum-Solar-Panel-Charge-Controller/dp/B009JU466G

I'd be tempted to sell the 48V panel and use the funds to pickup a 30V panel and cheaper MPPT controller.

creeky
# Posted: 21 Nov 2013 12:04

offers?

i got the 48v for .80 a watt. so. i guess i can afford a flashier controller. least that's what I tell my accountant.

48v 250 and up are just regular "on grid" solar panels. available at every solar store. the nice thing about 48v is they are the best bang for the buck. watts to dollars. they want like 2-4 bucks a watt for some of those 12/24v panels... i guess 12/24/48 are really just identifier numbers. my 48v "class" panel open voltage is like 57v. 61v is the peak today.

in the winter I see up over 64.

Dillio187
# Posted: 21 Nov 2013 14:44

weird, I've picked up 30V on grid panels for about that price from Solar Blvd when they have their sales.

panels like this:
http://www.solarblvd.com/Solar-Panels-&-Systems-24-Volt-Solar-Panels/c1_270/p2701/MX- Solar-235W-24V-Solar-Panel-MX60-235/product_info.html

or this:

http://www.solarblvd.com/Solar-Panels-&-Systems-24-Volt-Solar-Panels/c1_270/p2702/Lig htway-Solar-230-Watt-24-Volt-Solar-Panel-P1650/product_info.html

Steve961
# Posted: 21 Nov 2013 15:09

You should consider the new Rogue MPT-2024 MPPT charge controller. It outputs 20 amps, handles up to 100 volt arrays, is made in the US, high quality, and is only $275. If you've never heard of Rogue before, just search the Wind-Sun forum and read what others say about them.

Dillio187
# Posted: 21 Nov 2013 15:55

that's a good recommendation Steve, I have the slightly older Rogue 3024 and it's been rock solid for me. I didn't realize they had their new controllers out yet. Awesome, made in the USA quality!

dsaw
# Posted: 21 Nov 2013 17:22

I've been happy with this one for about 4 months:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008R6TG2W/ref=oh_details_o02_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Only problem I've had is that it's not shielded, so I have to move my radio to the other side of the cabin.

creeky
# Posted: 22 Nov 2013 09:51

good recommendations. thx. that tracer is right in my ballpark. handles the higher voltages and offers a low low price.

i hear the rogue's have a good reputation. and a fairly new model.
those panels from solarblvd are 158 bucks. they have a huge sale on. i don't need more panels. but that top of pole mount kit for 200 bucks sure has my eye.

so. lessee.
200 for the panel. 200 for the controller. 250 for the inverter (tho I bought it 3-4 years ago). Now I have 350 for batteries and bits.For 300 I should be able to get 250 amp hr @12v no problem.

so a 250 watt/amp hr solar system complete. this is looking like a pretty good $1k solar system.

MPL
# Posted: 18 Dec 2013 11:14

The MorningStar MPPT charge controllers are very good quality. The
SS-MPPT-15L will handle higher wattage PV panel(s). $225. + ship
(Load 15 Amp). This particular model will handle upto 400 watts of PV panel. Be sure to add a 24 amp auto fuse in line to protect the
MPPT unit (+ side of battery).

The SS-10-12v unit is much less but you have to stay @ 12v for battery bank + smaller PV panel size. $60.00 + ship

I build small systems for back woods every week adding MeanWell 1000 watt Pure Sine Wave inverters for 120v output. Add a few LED lights as appropriate.

empak
# Posted: 16 Feb 2014 18:16

I used this one at my camp last summer, I ordered it after seeing it tested and reviewed on a you tube channel, it was shipped in about one week, it worked great....
Its a true MPPT controller, I had connected to a 245w pv pannel and 2 big 12v deep cycle batteries wired parallel, I saw over 17amps going to the batteries in full sunlight off my pannel. Its a good strong build, this company has other controllers at a good price as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q2ICp7acvA

creeky
# Posted: 17 Feb 2014 18:09

Nice video empak. That's a good looking controller. I really like the big toroids... that controller is going to work for you for a long time.

sadly I have these big 48v (57Voc) panels. and MPPSolar says their controller shouldn't be used with panels over 50Voc.

17 amps off a 245 panel means you're running around 35Voc.

and rats. 'cause I see it on ebay for just over $110 bucks.

MPL. I should have remembered to check the morningstar line up. jeez. I've got 3 of them (2 mppt-60s now in use). their webpage has a new mppt-30 listing but I can't find it to buy anywhere.

ClimberKev
# Posted: 25 Feb 2014 09:57

I've upgraded through three charge controllers as my system has grown. I am very happy with the Phocos CMM charge controllers. I've been using the 20 amp model now for about 5 years. I also highly recommend adding the remote meter. At the time of purchase it was one of the most affordable units on the market.

http://www.phocos.com/datasheet_cc_cml.html

ILFE
# Posted: 8 Mar 2014 15:43

So, what controller did you go with, creeky?

Personally, I am an America made kinda guy, regardless as to where I lay my head. I have a Midnite Kid somewhere between the states and me, right now.

creeky
# Posted: 8 Mar 2014 20:31

ILFE, I'm still undecided. The solar for the rolling bedroom I'm building this summer is a work in process. right now it's kind of blue sky, rogue, morningstar contest. the only thing I have is a 48v class 250 watt controller. blew up the 1kw inverter this winter. long sorry story about a recycled GFCI plug and a bargain motion detector light.
i like that kid. that looks like a broad spectrum controller that would work for many a decade to come. thx.

creeky
# Posted: 8 Mar 2014 20:37

and thanks ClimberKev for the Phocos recommend. It's a PWM controller and I'm looking MPPT. Dang those beautiful 48v panels. I saw 66v off my panels one cold day in January.

ILFE
# Posted: 9 Mar 2014 07:22

I imagine, retail, the Kid controller will not be more than about $300, honestly. I would seriously look at one of them for your project.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.