Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Non-electric lamps...what do you use?
Smawgunner
# Posted: 21 Dec 2013 17:09

For those who don't have electric or generator power...what kind of lamps are you using?...hurricane, lanterns, candle..and why? Also what fuel are you using? My cabin won't have power...trying to think ahead?

beachman
# Posted: 21 Dec 2013 18:38

We have no power and use mainly propane for lighting and for our stove and refrigerator. We have some LED battery lights that work pretty good. We generally do not go to our place in the winter.

Borrego
# Posted: 21 Dec 2013 19:32

We use solar powered light that you leave in the sun all day and then they put out a pretty good light source for about 8 hrs...can't remember where I got them, I think ebay...

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 21 Dec 2013 20:20

We use oil lamps downstairs for now. This summer I am getting a double propane light installed above my kitchen sink. We also use a battery powered remote control lantern in the loft and the d light in the kitchen. We have a solar powered light in our outhouse. We use headlamps for reading before bed. We just try to get everything done during daylight hours the way people did before electricity.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

bldginsp
# Posted: 21 Dec 2013 20:39 - Edited by: bldginsp

When I finish my cabin I plan to try the mantle type oil lamps. If you don't know this is a different type of oil lamp that puts off 4 times the light of a regular wick type oil lamp. But I read somewhere on this forum that they use a lot of oil and are a bit troublesome to use and maintain. Anyone using mantle lamps, Aladin brand?

Just saw a Mother Earth News article claiming that the mantles in those lamps have radioactive stuff in them and might be bad for you.

LED technology is just at the point now that battery electric lamps might work out well. The ones in the past used up batteries too fast. Coleman has one with a dimmer switch on it so you can turn it down to conserve the batteries, and they claim you can get like 60-100 hours out of a set of batteries.

At my local outdoor supply (Mel Cotton's, San Jose Ca) I saw an LED lamp that also had a speaker in it, so you can plug in your IPhone or IPod and listen to music.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 21 Dec 2013 21:32

I use Falks propane lights throughout my cabin. They have been in place over 30 years now and still work great. We supplement them with 12 volt led lighting hooked up to my deep cycle battery. These are the lights we use. I have the double one in the centre hanging from the ceiling, a single above my sink, a single on the back wall and a single one in my back room. I also have one on my loft and one on my front porch outside. They work just like a lantern and throw plenty of light.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Bridge Boy
# Posted: 22 Dec 2013 13:16

I am looking at purchasing a Model 450 propane lamp from Midstate Lamp Co. Has anyone on this forum used this product ?

Thanks

spoofer
# Posted: 23 Dec 2013 07:33

I use florescent lights hooked up to a boat battery through an inverter. I can get a whole weekend out of the battery. I also run a 19in. led tv and a radio through this set-up.

TheWildMan
# Posted: 23 Dec 2013 10:32

I have a redundant system of lighting, when one goes out I use the next one down the list

primary is 12 volt DC CF lightbulbs at 5 watt, dim but enough for most needs, also a 60 watt equivelant CF bulb on AC plugged in the inverter for when I need a lot of light, flashlights that run on AA batteries and several AA battery charging methods

outdoors I have cheap solar lights (also have one in a window to act as a dim light at night) I prop them up all over, get them cheap at the dollar store

I have 2 deitz lanterns and 2 table lamps that run on oil, plus about 20 gallons of lamp oil and spare wicks, and 20,000 matches

after that I have roughly 1125 candles and candle lamps made with tinsmithing, also a bug (type of flashlight with a candle for light)

if all of that fails I have made plenty of tallow lamps in the past from vegetable oil, Crisco, or bacon fat and can make my own wicks.

cabingal3
# Posted: 23 Dec 2013 18:06

we use these.and l.e.d. lanterns and then I have a bevy of old fashioned oil lamps but I don't like to use them.
l.e.d.
l.e.d.

Smawgunner
# Posted: 23 Dec 2013 21:19

Those using propane lamps...do they burn clean with no smell or "dirty" air?

MO Cabin
# Posted: 23 Dec 2013 22:11

We recently got this lamp from dewalt. It works great. I alway bring my drill and driver when I go down and it uses the same batteries. It lights up our 16x32 cabin with no problems. I also use the flash light when I need a spot light or I am working outside at night. I have used them for several hours a night for multiple days and have not needed to recharge the batteries.
DC527_4NB.jpg
DC527_4NB.jpg
DW908_1.jpg
DW908_1.jpg

BaconCreek
# Posted: 24 Dec 2013 08:24

From an earlier post:
We put a Mr. Beams LED Spot with a Motion Sensor on our cabin entrance. It takes 4 D batteries and the light stays on for 30 seconds. The field of motion is 30 feet. This is handy on trips to the outhouse at night. I am hoping it will help with security issues as well.

The Mr. Beams ceiling light is motion activated too. I put this in the outhouse and it makes night time visits not so creepy.

We have tried different solar lights but being in the dense woods these don't work so well, especially in summer when the foliage is heavy. These light are inexpensive and the light provided is just about right. Not too bright but just enough too see where you are going.

I also bought 2 more Mr. Beams walkway lights off Amazon for home. We have a sidewalk step behind a spruce tree that is shaded so the solar lights rarely work for long.

I thought maybe someone that had shade/cloud issues might find these helpful. I did.

Mr. Beams MB 980 Battery-Operated Indoor/Outdoor Motion-Sensing LED Ceiling Light, White
Mr. Beams MB360 Wireless LED Spotlight with Motion Sensor and Photocell - Weatherproof - Battery Operated - 140 Lumens

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 24 Dec 2013 22:51

I use the propane lights and we have no smell whatsoever. Like I said in my earlier post, some of the lights have been in there over 30 years and never a problem.

beachman
# Posted: 25 Dec 2013 14:10

We have been using the propane lights for at least 30 years and no smells or problems. They give off a little heat, which in Summer can be a little warm, but good most other times. We also use the Falks lights and like them a lot. The Midstates look pretty good and appear to be equivalent to 100W where the Falks are 60 to 70W. I would imagine they would give off a little more heat. SWL- you will love the double propane lights over the sink. I have a friend with this set up and it works great.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.