Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Cabin Kitchen/Off Grid
. 1 . 2 . >>
BaconCreek
# Posted: 4 Jan 2014 21:53

We are presently working on the interior of our 12x24 off grid cabin. We are currently using a Coleman Kitchen for our kitchen set up and it has been great but I am ready to make the next move. I was hoping someone would share their off grid kitchen ideas and pictures.
In such a small space I can't afford any mistakes.

BaconCreek
# Posted: 4 Jan 2014 21:56 - Edited by: BaconCreek

Here are some pics of what we have so far.
002.JPG
002.JPG
004.JPG
004.JPG

Kudzu
# Posted: 5 Jan 2014 11:45

Looks great, my kitchen is not off grid, but if it was I would use propane. You can always buy a few large bottles (big, but not to big to transport), there ought to be many stoves to choose from and probably a few refrigerators.

Kudzu
# Posted: 5 Jan 2014 11:45

Looks great, my kitchen is not off grid, but if it was I would use propane. You can always buy a few large bottles (big, but not to big to transport), there ought to be many stoves to choose from and probably a few refrigerators.

Kudzu
# Posted: 5 Jan 2014 11:47

If I had an off grid cabin I would do a lot of Dutch Oven and campfire cooking. We do that now and we have a full electric kitchen.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 5 Jan 2014 12:18 - Edited by: SE Ohio

Another option is a kerosene stove. Safe to use indoors, and kerosene is cheap (fairly) and easy to find in my area. Kerosene heaters and lamps can be added to the mix. A few years ago I had a break-in and my propane tank was stolen, but they left my kerosene!

I also don't have to worry about a propane leak being ignited by my woodburner. My kids love to turn knobs...

I found my kerosene stove (used) on Craigslist for under $100. They still make them and wicks are a-plenty. Lehman's sells new Perfection kerosene stoves for $$$ (lehmans.com) These stoves are easier to find in Amish areas.

A Coleman oven is sometimes used over one burner for baking. Cinamon rolls, anyone?

PS - Love your cabin setup!
Cabin_stove_cooking..jpg
Cabin_stove_cooking..jpg

cabingal3
# Posted: 5 Jan 2014 15:24

love love love the stove.and your cabin is roomy and nice...but the stove!!

beachman
# Posted: 5 Jan 2014 16:22

BaconCreek, We built a totally off-grid cottage. Our kitchen is outfitted with a propane stove and refrigerator. We have a stainless steel sink and a hand pump on the countertop for water. Everything works well - see lakeside cottage in Eastern Canada under members projects - around page 10 now - will see pictures and progress. Next spring I''ll take more up-to-date pictures. We got some battery powered LED light pucks for under the cupboards with a remote switch. These are great. We also have an LED light over the table hung from the ceiling by a small cable.

rockies
# Posted: 5 Jan 2014 16:53

One thing about propane is that it puts a lot of moisture into the air, which will get through any crack around the interior finishes (trim or wall plugs, etc) and freeze on the inside layer of the exterior sheating in winter, so you should definately make sure the vapor barrier is totally sealed. You might consider having an outdoor kitchen in a small outbuilding, and perhaps have a backup wood cookstove there. You never know when you might need one in an emergency (who wants extra heat inside during the summer)? There are very efficient fridges from Sunfrost that can run on solar, and an ice cooler might even be enough for meat and dairy if you're not there all the time. The best idea is to have backups for everything. Even a propane bar-b-que might be enough for an unforseen disaster. You could consider a cold storage room built into the side of a hill, and also store bottled water just in case the well fails.

BaconCreek
# Posted: 5 Jan 2014 19:46 - Edited by: BaconCreek

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I plan on moving the Coleman kitchen outdoors next season for sure. I didn't like that indoors last summer. It was too confining!
Since this is mostly a weekend place we probably will use coolers for food. I am wondering if a Yeti brand cooler is worth the cost.
I have also been eyeing the LED puck lights with the remote. Actually had a pack in my hand last week and put them back. I will probably go back and get them. The lantern light in the kitchen isn't always enough.
006.JPG
006.JPG
CAM00057.jpg
CAM00057.jpg

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 5 Jan 2014 20:55

My log cabin is 13x20 inside with a loft. We are totally off grid. Along one wall we have a propane oven/stove, cupboards and counter top with a double sink. The water source is a hundred gallon tank in the crawl space with a 12v shurflo pump. We have a small propane fridge that is found in an RV. The fridge is built into the wall so it takes up very little space. All lighting is propane with some led lighting off the battery. We do have a 3000 w Honda generator if we need electricity. We have 2 one hundred pound propane tanks which last us a long time. We also have an old antique wood stove with a small oven in the top that we do some cooking in during the winter months.

toofewweekends
# Posted: 6 Jan 2014 00:10

We're off-grid in southcentral Alaska with a 16x20 weekend place, so keeping food cool for more than half the year is not a problem! We took the cheap route and use a dorm-size fridge. Fill it with cold or frozen food (comes in summer via 4wheeler), run it off a Honda 2k for a couple of hours, and it stays cold for quite awhile if you don't open the door. Propane stove and oven. Moisture is not a problem, because you really don't run a stove that long -- it's cooking food, not heating the cabin. Main heat is a wood stove, with a vented propane heater for times when you just want a few degrees more.

Power is from a small solar panel, couple of costco batteries, and a small inverter. High power stuff requires the generator. Water is either filtered creek or rain water, melted snow or a 5 gal jug from home. A 12v Shurflo puts it in a small sink, outbound gray water goes into a sort-of leach field.

hebegbz
# Posted: 6 Jan 2014 00:10 - Edited by: hebegbz

We are off grid but run our genset for 4 hours each day, so I have refrigeration (22 ft side by side, and a 7 ft chest freezer). I bought a cheap gas range and converted it to propane. Runs for a month on a 20lb tank. I have a small microwave that I use occasionally when the generator is running. Although i have the gas range and oven, I usually cook all of my main meals in my solar ovens. Really saves on the propane and helps keep the house cool in the summer months.

Jim in NB
# Posted: 6 Jan 2014 04:47

I'm going with propane for fridge and stove. Roof water collection system - french drain for sink. I have been using a coleman stove but most cooking has been on the bbq. An essential part of any remote location. Amazing what you can cook on a bbq!

BaconCreek
# Posted: 6 Jan 2014 12:52

Solar oven? What is that?

bldginsp
# Posted: 6 Jan 2014 16:06 - Edited by: bldginsp

I was at a solar cook off one year and saw a bunch of home made and store bought solar ovens. They all did the same thing, they had reflectors of one sort or another all focusing on the center, where you put a pan or casserole dish. I would describe all the cooking as slow baking. It took many hours in direct sun to get and keep it hot enough to bake a casserole. Definitely a workable idea if you have the sun and the time, but at my site there is too much shade and I can't tend it for hours if I'm busy on the other side of the property. If I was going to do this(if I could) I'd try making huge reflectors, say 8 feet diameter or more. That would really heat it up. The ones I saw were 4-5 feet dia. at most.

Coleman makes a small collapsible portable campers oven that uses the small propane canisters. Will supposedly hold 400 degrees for four hours or so on one canister. I think it holds a 9x9 baking pan. Since its collapsible you can put it away nicely.

My cheap little campers BBQ, propane canister type, isn't the greatest but it does the job and has had gallons of BBQ sauce splattered on it.

Is burning kerosene indoors as safe as burning propane. Supposedly, properly burning propane produces mostly H2O and CO2. Anybody know about kerosene? A few kerosene lamps is one thing. But a lot of cooking with kerosene seems a bit risky.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 6 Jan 2014 18:42

Bldginsp,

The kerosene stove uses a same/similar wick to a kerosene heater, same fuel, and shorter duration of use than a heater. So if it is safe to use a kerosene heater indoors, it is safer to use a kerosene stove due to less duration/exhaust.

Kerosene heaters and stoves are pretty old technology, and still being manufactured to current safety standards.

Link: Coleman collapsible oven sits on a burner (kerosene, propane, etc)http://www.coleman.com/product/camp-oven/2000009191

bldginsp
# Posted: 6 Jan 2014 23:20

Ohio- a quick search for 'is it safe to burn kerosene indoors' shows that when burning efficiently kerosene emits only small amounts of carbon monoxide and other pollutants. Still there is an accumulation hazard if you leave it on too long or use several such appliances at the same time. They recommend you crack a window, and only use high quality 1-K kerosene (I didn't know there were different types). Also, for new users, it helps to pay close attention so you know whether your appliance is burning efficiently or not.

Safely used, looks like a good and frugal cooking method, but with a potential to go badly wrong if incorrectly used. Same goes for any fuel for burning.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 7 Jan 2014 07:44 - Edited by: SE Ohio

Probably a good time to point out that most things involve risk. A CO detector is a good hedge if you are using combustibles, even wood.

And don't burn White gas/Coleman fuel indoors. A quick CO buildup.

Read your instructions and determine your own acceptable risk limits. For many, our biggest risk is the trip to and from the cabin, but we go anyway.

In my situation, I find kerosene and my cabin commute to be a low and tolerable risk.

hebegbz
# Posted: 8 Jan 2014 00:13

A solar oven can cook all your food using only mirrors and insulation.
400+ degrees anytime the sun is shining.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

davey25
# Posted: 8 Jan 2014 22:17

I have a small 8 or 10 cu foot can't remember fridge with freezer..hold enough for a week fairly easy..and I have a gas converted to propane stove..ease of use..reliability ..quick cooking..and also makes it look like a normal kitchen..not that your camping..there really is no other easier cheaper way that I can see..I go up every couple weeks for weekends and weeks at time..I don't bother shutting down the fridge..it's not worth it..all your staples and a lot of stuff last quite a while and you don't have to haul up heavy coolers..everything is nice and cold..drinks when you get there too..you'll never regret ditching the coolers..the freezer has stuff in it that you can have all summer too..all runs on two 40lb..easy to haul..and propane is pretty cheap..probably cost me maybe 200 from late April till October for both appliances..

Mzain
# Posted: 26 Jul 2023 10:23

I found best kitchen products for daily use: https://luxdecorcollection.com/collections/kitchen-collection

We have the best kitchen collection with top products like knives, meat cleavers, and utensils. With our high-quality standards, we are sure to provide you with the perfect kitchen tools for all your needs!

travellerw
# Posted: 26 Jul 2023 14:28

Our cabin is 16X28.

I built a fairly traditional L shaped kitchen. I'm using a stand-up freezer that is converted to a fridge (Inkbird controller). We have a 4 burner propane stove that is plumbed to 2 30lb RV bottles in a locker outside (gas line runs under cabin). The RV bottles are on an auto switcher like an RV. We installed a range hood that we run when cooking. To the right is a sink with one standard basin and one small basin. The tap has a sprayer (used for rinsing to save water). Thats it.

Everything is run off solar (pump, range hood, toaster, even an air fryer). This is our first season on full solar, but pretty much zero issues. Everything just works and you would have no idea its offgrid.

Sorry.. I only have a crappy pic from my security camera.
2023_07_26_12_24_10..jpg
2023_07_26_12_24_10..jpg

travellerw
# Posted: 26 Jul 2023 14:32

Ahhhh crap.. I just noticed the date on this and that a spam bot brought it to the top.. Sorry.

gcrank1
# Posted: 27 Jul 2023 10:38

NO worries Trav! Its all good info, and a great update on how it is working out for you. Just the thing for other folks who get linking into this thread
I kinda wish we were as sophisticated as you, we havent completely finalized our floorplan (16x24, just one big room) and have 2 choices for which wall the kitchen can go. In a matter of a couple hours we can change the whole interior around.
So our kitchen is basically on 'countertop units' that easily move. Small microwave, toaster, old 30cup perk unit as a hot water heater and a sgl lp burner.
The perk and mw when needed run off the gen.
Sink is also on a countertop, a large, low side plastic tub with a drainer/drying rack. Wash in a separate small tub, rinse in another and set in the rack. No drain so no plumbing, No Big Deal, we pour all dirty water in a simple, small French drain outside.
Btw, the 'French drain' is named after a Mr. French, not the country.

travellerw
# Posted: 27 Jul 2023 18:07

Quoting: gcrank1
I kinda wish we were as sophisticated as you, we havent completely finalized our floorplan (16x24, just one big room) and have 2 choices for which wall the kitchen can go. In a matter of a couple hours we can change the whole interior around.

Hey, if it works, then why change it...

The one things I absolutely love is the air fryer. It was a game changer out there. We don't have an oven and the air fryer has made it so we don't miss it. Its not like we are doing baking, but there are times you want fries, or chicken wings ect. 15 min in the air fryer and boom.

However, it does draw a lot. Like 1250W, so you need a pretty robust solar/battery setup to run. Or you just run the genny and get some extra power into the batts.

Brettny
# Posted: 27 Jul 2023 18:38

That kitchen looks great Trav. Did you buy those cabinets new? I was recently in lowes and walked by some decent looking shaker style lower cabinets 18in wide and they wanted $230. They also didnt even have finger joint drawers. Once I saw that I stopped looking at the quality. I'm prob going to make my own cabinets. I enjoy wood working with a focus and goal for a end product.

travellerw
# Posted: 27 Jul 2023 19:04

Quoting: Brettny
That kitchen looks great Trav. Did you buy those cabinets new?

Thanks fella..

Believe it or not, but my wife is a master recycler. She got them for free from one of her Facebook groups. The person just asked that we give away any of the ones we didn't use. They weren't perfect (cabinet above the fridge is too small) and needed some TLC, but saved us big.

I absolutely agree about the stuff at the big box stores. Really poor quality these days.

Brettny
# Posted: 27 Jul 2023 19:51

Quoting: travellerw
Believe it or not, but my wife is a master recycler. She got them for free from one of her Facebook groups

That sounds wonderfull. I got my porch decking, floor joists and even sono tubes of FB. The place is a wealth of materials and deals if you can sort through the junk and high priced stuff.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 28 Jul 2023 12:17

In our 16x24 cabin we are building our cabinets on site. TnG pine boards. I will build a solid wood countertop, birch or white spruce. It's good 8' on 1 side and a 2' wing that is next to the stove. We have pantry n storage shelves that make up the walls for the 6x6' bathroom. They will also have 6' wide boards that will run horizontally to match in to the 6" logs.
We have started a sandpoint well so it's in the cabinets at the end. I will make this a separate closet. End of the cabinets will come off to service things. A 12v pump with a built in pressure switch will be plumbed to the cold side of the sink faucet. Hopefully have indoor running potable water.
Have fun with your cabin
Sand point well
Sand point well
Kitchen
Kitchen
Another kitchen
Another kitchen

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.