Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Fridge substitute
Fusil62
# Posted: 11 Feb 2014 13:58

Looking at alternatives to refridgeration. At Grand Portage National Monument there is a dry well located in the kitchen storage area that was used to keep things cool

What we are looking to build would face south, using dry stack construction. In the northern portion I would have an area set aside to store canned goods, etc. What we are thinking is to have an 8ft deep, 6ft dia drywell. This would be constructed much like a brick cistern.

Location is NE MN. Looking for your thoughts.

MtnDon
# Posted: 11 Feb 2014 14:29

I believe most locations will have an earth temperature of 50 - 55 F at 5 to 6 foot depths. That would be not cool enough for food safety.

bldginsp
# Posted: 11 Feb 2014 17:54

One thing I learned on this site is that if you store canned goods where they can freeze, the seal can be broken by freezing then the food spoils. But, if the canned goods were in the cool pit, it might not freeze.

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 11 Feb 2014 18:14

do you have a spring on the property? if so, consider building a spring house as an alternative.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 12 Feb 2014 10:52 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

I have several YETI coolers http://www.yeticoolers.com/ ....I put food/beverages in them with ice lasts forever . On some of my camping trips/hunting trips...ice last 10 days or more.

Fusil62
# Posted: 12 Feb 2014 12:24

Alas, we have no spring. There are only 2 seasonal trickles. We have a pelican cooler and like the yeti is great. We are primarily looking to have a place to keep garden stock, much like afoot cellar.

SFCLYNCH
# Posted: 12 Feb 2014 19:19

Right here, you can only use for two days every ten years here in SC.
DSCN0708.JPG
DSCN0708.JPG

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 12 Feb 2014 21:00

Quoting: SFCLYNCH
Right here, you can only use for two days every ten years here in SC

nice cooler .....we have the same kind for a few days...LOL

Cuzzinit
# Posted: 19 Feb 2014 17:47

what i did was put a cooler in a hole, and cover during the day when it was warm and uncover and take the water jugs out to refreeze. Things would get put between screen door and the inner door or on window sills. During the summer i would get ice if needed. i eat fresh, so what i needed to keep cold was minimal. some of my friends got Servel propane fridges... they last forever

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.