Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Building a drip irrigation system - any advice/tips?
Samuel1988
# Posted: 19 Feb 2014 15:37

Evening all,

First post on this forum!

I have an allotment (a patch of land in the UK for food growing) and was thinking of making a drip irrigation system to water my fruit & veg.

Any advice/tips from anyone who has tried this?

My plot has a slight slope to it.

Is it simply getting hold of water barrel, some old hose pipe, drilling a hole in to insert a tap and stick the hose to the tap?

Many thanks for your help,

Samuel

bldginsp
# Posted: 19 Feb 2014 16:10

My experience with drip systems is with store bought components, readily available in the US at hardware stores. Costs a bit but works well. Main thing with drip is regulation- either you are there to turn it on and off or you have an automatic timer. Battery timer valves are readily available and not too expensive.

With water from a barrel I see two potential problems, first the drippers on a store bought system are subject to clogging because of the small aperture they use, rain barrel water may be dirty enough to clog them. Second, a drip system requires water pressure to work, so the question is whether your barrels will be high enough.

Of course you could just water the garden yourself with a hose from the barrels, but you have to show up to do it, whereas if you have a drip system on a timer you don't have to be there every day

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.