Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Dog containment system
ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 25 Feb 2014 07:38 - Edited by: ChuckDynasty

Know of any DC hard wired dog containment systems, not the wifi type. If not is any one using a system with a power converter that can share any info regarding the power consumption?

I'll research and post what I find out if any one is interested.

hattie
# Posted: 25 Feb 2014 12:32

Most dogs are smart enough to train to stay on your property. Walk them on a leash around the boundary and correct them when they try to step past it. After they get the idea, take them off leash and watch them. Correct them as soon as they try to step off. Before you know it, they will be amazing at knowing just how far they are allowed to go. This won't work for hound dogs (ie beagles). As soon as they get a scent they are gone, but for most other dogs, it is quite successful.

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 25 Feb 2014 12:56

My dogs will chase other dogs, cows, people, trucks, deer...A containment systems works for them but I need one that'll work well of grid without too much battery drain. Thanks for the reply.

old243
# Posted: 25 Feb 2014 13:17

cabela's sell a system, but I am not sure of the power draw. It puts out a signal in a up to 90 foot radius. The dog has a collar , that you can adjust for strength. After they are trained you can dial it down to just a warning buzz.
Our neighbor has one , his lab got to wandering. After several shocks , he stays in his circle, he knows exactly how far he can go. They are away at work all day, he is loose outside. Stays put. You can buy multiple collars to use off one control

You can take it from home to your cottage as it just plugs in, adjustable from 15 -90 feet. old243

old243
# Posted: 25 Feb 2014 13:28

I looked in cabela's catalogue , it is petsafe , wireless instant fence, order # AD1-850474 listed at 329.00. I have seen them cheaper on google. hope this helps old243

razmichael
# Posted: 25 Feb 2014 17:30

Quoting: ChuckDynasty
I'll research and post what I find out if any one is interested.
Yes - interested. I started to investigate a while back but other priorities took over. Most of the standard systems use AC to DC adapters and actually run from 12Vdc (did find one at 24V) so would be easy to connect to off-grid cabin power. What I could not find was the actual consumption. As the "fence" is really just an antenna for a very low power radio signal I suspect the power consumption is low - especially if only activated for limited periods - but might not be low enough for full time operation on a low capacity system. Really curious to find out.

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 25 Feb 2014 22:35

Quoting: razmichael
I suspect the power consumption is low

Yes, I think you're right, I think around 5w from what I read on the net today.

I talked with several companies today and no one knew anything about 12v or power consumption of the units they manufacture. All three said they'll check and get back to me, and one was an installer.

I found that the Invisible fence company have an older 700 series products that use 12v adapter that you mentioned which is great as I didn't expect it to. The invisible fence ICT725 even has a connection for a 12v battery backup and the transmitter is good for up to 3k feet of wire which for my needs is perfect. I'll receive a 725 shortly and will put a kill-a-watt on it and try it on a battery. In the spring this will be my first project for my property...second will be an outhouse.

razmichael
# Posted: 26 Feb 2014 07:05

The invisible fence ICT725 even has a connection for a 12v battery backup

Just took a look at the manual for this -did note that the adapter is 12v AC not DC. however, the ability to connect a 12VDC backup battery could provide the main connection if you are connecting to a 12V off grid system. The manual also states that a 5Ah battery will power the fence at full power for 10 hours (longer at reduced power) so that gives you a rough idea of consumption. Looks like a very good solution - looking forward to your comments when you get it.

In the spring this will be my first project for my property...second will be an outhouse.
Hopefully it will not take you too long to get the fence up before you need to use an outhouse!

Malamute
# Posted: 26 Feb 2014 13:11

I have a containment system that uses no power after it was set up. It's a 6' board and 6' wire fence around the immediate area close to the cabin. Seems to work well.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 26 Feb 2014 21:40 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

Yeah but, your name is Malamute. You probably have a tunnel under the dog house.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 27 Feb 2014 11:32

Our boxer was amazing. He would not go beyond a 50' perimeter of us or the cabin. We did not train him to do this. I sure do miss Joe.

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 27 Feb 2014 17:50 - Edited by: ChuckDynasty

Quoting: razmichael
did note that the adapter is 12v AC not DC.

Yes it is. I could use a 12v DC car adapter though providing polarity and output plug are correct, right? I have several 12v DC adapters. I'd rather connect this way if possible but I have also ordered backup battery wiring part. If I had to I could us an inverter but I'd like to go the 12v route when possible.

Quoting: Malamute
It's a 6' board and 6' wire fence around the immediate area close to the cabin

I did some fencing to keep vehicles out but I want my dogs to be able to enjoy the whole parcel.

Quoting: silverwaterlady
I sure do miss Joe.

Dogs are great, I still miss two that I had 25 years ago.

razmichael
# Posted: 27 Feb 2014 18:01

Are you connecting up to a 12V off-grid setup? The Fence system Adapter is 12V AC not DC so this would need to be connected to an inverter but the approach to try is to power directly from a 12V DC source (could be a car but not sure how practical that would be!) through the backup input. Basically the main power supply is AC and the backup is DC. If you are running a 12V off-grid system or have a separate 12V battery then this would connect to the same leads as the backup battery would be connected into and take the place of the battery backup - thus the system runs all the time as if it had no 120V power and was running off it's backup battery. You could also likely use a stand alone battery and a small solar charger to keep it powered - especially if you only turned it on when the dog was outside. No need for a car adapter unless you are just using the standard car 12V plug for convenience.

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 27 Feb 2014 18:50

I'll have a portable 108ah battery pack with a 50w panel for the fence and some led lighting, charging, ect.

Yep, I know I can use the battery backup connection and the only reason I guess I wouldn't use it is a red LED is on instead of green to show that it's in backup mode. I'd rather see a green light because to me green means everything is working ok. I thought that as long as I put 12vDC into it, it would work.

The Adapter that comes with the fence is 120v AC in and 12v DC out.

I have a TV that can use the wall AC adapter 110v in 12vdc out or I can use a 12v DC car adapter that I do use it with.

I thought it would be the same with the fence. If not I'll just use the backup connection.

razmichael
# Posted: 27 Feb 2014 19:02

The Adapter that comes with the fence is 120v AC in and 12v DC out.

I don't have the system so I cannot say for sure - all I can say is the on-line manuals I looked at clearly states it is 12V AC.

From Manual ICT 725 there are a number of references to the `the 12vAC transformer`along with any replacement parts list available. Very possible the model has changed and the manuals I checked are not accurate so if I`m wrong - sorry. If I`m right then the having a red LED on may not be such a big issue.

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 27 Feb 2014 19:33

Ok, yes, I thought it was AC in and 12v DC out. I think when I see 12v I assume DC. Thank you. I'm glad I didn't buy the 700 that doesn't have the backup option. I can learn to like red too! Thanks again.

razmichael
# Posted: 27 Feb 2014 20:19

No problem. Easy mistake to make - I initially made the same assumption. I'm looking forward to you letting us know how it all works.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.