Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / charge controler and powerbox 800 setup help
Smashems
# Posted: 3 Apr 2010 14:54

The only answer i found was related to the powerbox 1200 and was suggested to simply use the screw caps on the back and was also advised not to use the 12v DC plug to charge the powerbox.
This is were i'm getting confused, is the 1200 DC plug regulated and the 800 DC plug is not? the 800 DC plug is made for charging in the car via the cars 12volt charge controller.

I have 2 x 15watt panels, 1x 7amp controller and a powerbox 800.

Could i simply plug my controller in the DC plug and let it be? the panel are made to be simply left plugged in all the time even when the power box is in use, since I'm not charging via the AC right?

Moontreeranch
# Posted: 5 Apr 2010 18:21

not sure about some of the specs on the power box 800

here is a site for some answers on the 1200

http://answers.canadiantire.ca/answers/9045/product/0111815P/questions.htm

My idea is that your charge controller should limit any overcharge condition for the 800. SLA batteries like charge voltages of about 14 to 14.5 volts..this is what your charge controller should output..it it has a selection range check to make sure it is compatible with the SLA in the power box.

FLAs can take higher charge voltages

Pylonman
# Posted: 8 Jun 2010 17:48

Your on the right track. I have two PowerBox 1200's. I tied and taped the wires from my DIY 63 Watt panel to a $39.00 Sunforce charge controller. Then, I connected the leads from the charge controller to the red/black screw on terminals. In 2 days the PowerBox was charged. The charge controller prevents the batteries from overcharging.

Sometimes, when both PowerBoxs are low, I hook up a spare 12 Volt deep cycle trolling battery to the other box (not being solar charged). If I wait 6 - 8 hours (or if I pop into town from something) the second PowerBox will get some juice. It then is top up later solar of gas AC generator.

Anonymous
# Posted: 11 Jun 2010 14:03

For what I know, the power 800 have a built in controler.

hinterland
# Posted: 14 Jun 2010 17:17

Yes, the Powerbox 800 has a built in controller and inverter. It's a plug and leave it on the AC, but have not tried it on solar.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.