Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Diy generator question
Neracoal
# Posted: 18 Mar 2014 16:32

I have been lurking for awhile now.

I was at a local scrap yard today and came across a permanent magnet motor. I have been wanting to play around with a DIY generator for some time now.

Anyways i ended up buying it. it is very heavy(70 lbs) it says 220 volt dc 17.0 amps and 4 hp is this something that can be used or is it to big?

i can spin it by hand and get 25-30 volts ac out of it np at all. if i put my meter on dc i can get about 7-10 volts. no load of coarse.

i assume after i figure out how i want to spin it then i wire the + and - into a charge controller and then to a battery or a bank of batteries.

I want to use it to recharge batteries at the cabin.

what would you guess i could get out of this at say low rpms (say 250) and at high rpms (say 2500)?

Any thoughts and help would be greatly helpful.

4 horsepower 17amp 220voltz DCContinuous Duty Electric motor
photo.JPG
photo.JPG

MtnDon
# Posted: 18 Mar 2014 17:23

What are you going to use to drive it?

Neracoal
# Posted: 18 Mar 2014 18:05

i was thinking hydro from a high flow artesian well.

Thoughts?

MtnDon
# Posted: 18 Mar 2014 19:07

I don't know a lot about micro hydro, so my recommendation would be to research the flow rates needed to produce "X" amount of power. Like many things it is not as easy to carry out successfully as it is to think it. And check to see if you have the proper rights to use the water in that manner. Who knows what kinks may lurk in the rules?

G/L

Neracoal
# Posted: 18 Mar 2014 19:50

thanks.....i am gonna do some testing with rpms vs output here soon.

bldginsp
# Posted: 18 Mar 2014 19:55 - Edited by: bldginsp

You will need an appropriately sized pelton wheel to turn the motor. To size that wheel, the question is what flow rate are you dealing with, and what pressure is maintained at that flow rate. I suggest you find an agricultural pump supply store with counter people willing to assist you, they should have the experience necessary. If the pelton wheel is not correctly sized to your water flow and pressure, you won't get the full benefit out of it.

Some peltons are designed for high flow low pressure, others for low flow high pressure. You are trying to turn the motor at a given rpm under a given resistance, so you may need to use different sized pulleys and belts between the pelton and the motor to match rpm to rpm. Could be that your well doesn't produce enough water at enough pressure to drive the motor, maybe you'll need to get an alternator or DC generator.

Picking your generator first, then trying to match the other components to it, is kind of putting the cart before the horse. Best way to start is to determine what the well is capable of delivering, then matching water wheel and generator to that. You might only get a trickle charge, but if there is no problem running it 24/7, no problem.

Let us know what you come up with. Wish I had a high flow artesian well on my site.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 18 Mar 2014 21:17

A permanent magnet type of motor will really limit your ability to control voltage, just rpm only or a fancy diode (zener type) to kill the voltage after a certain point. I know many motorcycles regulate their output that way on a permanent magnet type charging system. Makes for lower cost brush-less design.

Neracoal
# Posted: 20 Mar 2014 09:25

true but it makes good power at low rpms.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 20 Mar 2014 21:08 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

But can you use it??? Lower voltage, lower cycles (Hz)????

Set up an inverter to boost or reduce voltages and cycles to the 120VAC and 60Hz would be the set up. Now run it from a water fall....

bldginsp
# Posted: 20 Mar 2014 22:55

This might be thread hijack, but here's some fun YouTube videos on using hydro-

A guy with a homemade water wheel;
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmHY9DkD1Hw

A pretty serious pelton wheel and generator south of the border;
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1_7BKFMJrYA

Another home made water wheel
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gKx-Jms624A

And a home made generator on a homemade wheel;
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gbowRUuP9Kk

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.