Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / PV array for f/t living
wilderness girl
# Posted: 1 May 2010 16:12

Hi all,

Here's a little intro...
I'm new to this site, and am looking for some info about using solar PV arrays for full time/4 season off-grid living in Northern Ontario, Canada. My uses for a PV array would be strictly electrical, since I am opting for either wood or pellet generated heat. I am even considering a cook stove for the kitchen.

I would like to know, how big of an array would be required to power an 18 by 30 log cabin (probably smaller), with fridge, stove, some lights, a hot water heater(eventually), washer, ceiling fan, computer, TV, etc.....The only appliance that would need to be running 24/7, is the fridge/freezer. I am also considering the possibility of wind generation, and/or back-up genset.
I guess I am looking/hoping for an active PV system that will provide full time access. I am aware that my energy load will probably be heavier in the winter time.

Thanks in advance:)

Kramer
# Posted: 1 May 2010 16:44

You're going to have to do some research. Solar panels and batteries are expensive, so minimizing electrical consumption is the first step.

There is a generic formula for electrical requirements for lighting (as per code), but you don't want to use it, as it assumes the usage of halogen lamps. Instead, plan to use CFLs or regular fluorescents, or LED lighting in conjunction with a DC system. Figure out where you need lights, how much light is needed in each location, how often you're going to use them, and the wattage of each.

Also, electrical usage of a fridge/freeze varies greatly by the size of the appliance, the efficiency, temperature difference between the inside and outside (desired fridge temp VS ambient), and how often you open the door. Also, propane versions are available if you can easily have propane brought in, cutting the electrical requirement to nothing. Shop around for what you want/need, and compare specs for electrical or propane consumption and choose wisely.

Also, I would highly recommend propane for the hot water heater. Hot water tanks are WAY to inefficient for a solar setup, so an on-demand setup is best, with propane most likely being the most ideal. Again, you can figure out how much energy you'll need (either propane or electrical) by figuring out how often you need hot water, the flow rate of whatever is using it (showers, sinks, etc), and how hot you need it. Shop around and check out the specs on the available heaters.

IMHO, you will want a genset for backup. It doesn't have to be large, but just large enough to run whatever your highest intermittent load is (say a clothes drier, if a person wants that level of luxury).

Also, remember lots of appliances have ghost loads (consume when not on/in use). TVs, inverters, microwaves, etc, are bad for this and should be checked for the ghost load (clamp on multimeter is a good way) and plugged into a switched outlet if required.

Anyways, my whole point is I can't give you any answers since it depends way too much on what exactly you want to do. Also, the amount of sun will vary by location (you should be able to find the average for your area via google), and it will be much LESS in winter (when demand is higher). You may want to calculate the amount of needed panels for worst case (winter solstice), or just resign yourself to running the generator a bit in the winter.

Or, I could be like the contractors that install these systems and just ask "How much money do you have to spend?"

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.