Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Solar and Generator Connection
MarkG
# Posted: 6 Apr 2014 20:19 - Edited by: MarkG

I was watching a youtube video on converting a shed to a cabin and it mentioned this site. Been lurking and learning for months now. So, hi everyone, as you can't see my name tag...I'm Mark from NW Georgia!

On to my question.

I'm looking for a wiring diagram on connecting a generator and solar setup to a sub-panel then to a main breaker panel. I will be running strictly off the generator for a while (during construction), then for a few weeks while I get the solar setup completed (this will be our home when completed). My current need is no mre than a 100amp main panel for the house if it helps. I have not purchased ANY of the electrical panels yet so its a blank slate here.

Thanks everyone!

-Mark

bldginsp
# Posted: 6 Apr 2014 20:58

I don't have a diagram, and I'm just starting to research this stuff myself, but here's a few thoughts-

With solar panels the goal is to charge batteries, then run your power system off the batteries. You didn't say anything about your battery plans- is that in your plan?

What I've learned about solar thus far is that you really have to start with a realistic look at how much power you will actually use, get enough batteries to power that, then get panels and charger large enough to keep the batteries charged.

A running generator can directly power a sub panel with circuits, but if you have that along with a solar system you need a transfer switch to transfer between the two systems.

You'll need to gradually make your own wiring diagram based upon the specific components you get, and you'll need to choose wire sizes appropriate to the voltage/amperage of the parts of the system. But there must be diagrams out there of similar systems that will give you a start, but I don't know where to find them

MtnDon
# Posted: 6 Apr 2014 21:49

It sounds like your plan is to use AC power inside the building for everything; lights, receptacles for radio/stereo, and all that stuff. NO 12 VDC lights etc like some folks do. For the time being, that is my assumption. In that case the building is wired just like a normal house from a service panel throughout.

Questions:

*Off grid only? NO connection to the electric grid?

*What voltage needs? 120 VAC only or 240 VAC required/wanted?

*A 100 amp panel is a LOT of power for off grid. Does that include any electrical devices for heating anything? Electric cooking range, water heater, deep well pump, etc? ... Some pumps need 240 VAC, Cook ranges need 240 VAC if electric. Heating anything with electricity is not very practical when off grid.

*Will you want a generator on site for backup when everything is completed?

With the above known it will be easier to assist. In the meantime as far as a generator and PV hookup there's the DC (battery) side and the AC side. As I mentioned above the AC should be wired up from service panel to lights, etc just as a normal grid connected house.

Then if there is to be a generator and power from a battery powered inverter the easiest and safest method is to use an automatic transfer switch. The inverter and the generator are connected to the inputs and the ATS output connects to the service panel. That is the quick and easy answer. IMO, it's too early for wiring diagrams as there are many choices for equipment to be made first.

MarkG
# Posted: 6 Apr 2014 23:32

Sorry about the lack of info.

Here is my plan (so far)

The cabin will be completely off grid. 110v to outlets. No heavy loads currently but will run genny if needed. Want system that can be expanded as needed (to other structures near the current home, hence the 100amp panel and the number of breakers).

Solar/Battery based as primary with 2 days of storage (usage is 3.2kw per day)

System will begin with:

(4) 300w panels
24v system
4 Rolls Surette 600s 6v batteries
Generator for backup and charging batteries. As more batteries are added to the system (cost) the genny will be used less. Currently 6 hours per week run time to make up the difference.

I got all this done, but how it "all goes together" is where I'm at now. I got to the end of the internet and am a little more confused than when I started. Seems everyone does it a little different! I know electrical (for my house) but this is new to me.

bldginsp
# Posted: 6 Apr 2014 23:35

I looked at the Rolls Surret batteries, they cost far more and don't last much longer than other deep cels. Any particular reason you choose them?

MtnDon
# Posted: 7 Apr 2014 00:31 - Edited by: MtnDon

OK. The house is wired normal with 120 VAC.

The inverter output would connect direct to the service panel input IF there was no generator or other optional AC source. With a generator you could mess around with using plugs and receptacles switching manually from the inverter to the generator. IMO, that is a PITA best avoided especially if this is a long term residence, not just a weekend get away place.

A transfer switch, automatic or manual is better.
There are three connections.
1. the 120 VAC output to the service panel.
2. an input from the inverter 120 AC out
3. an input from the generator 120 AC out
The transfer switch switches both the hot and the neutral lines.

Have you selected an inverter. A few have a built in transfer switch as well as a built in charger. The built in charger is convenient and simplifies things on a larger full time system.

We have an Outback VFX3524 which has a built in automatic transfer switch. If one won't cover all the future power needs a second can be stacked. The prewired and tested systems on a board can actually be a great deal too

~~~
I would be very careful about planning to expand the battery capacity at a future date, though. Adding batteries to an existing bank can run into length of life issues, with the bank as a whole acting like the oldest batteries.

~~~
I didn't do detailed math but 3.2 KwH a day seems like a lot for four s-600's @ 24 volts. ???

~~~

Rolls/Surette's should go 10 years easy with good care (watering, charging and not cycling deeply). 15 years is possible as someone I know will attest.

MarkG
# Posted: 7 Apr 2014 11:33

Thanks for the help. Sounds pretty straight forward. I was looking at Outback for options on this, so thanks for narrowing that down for me.

I picked the Rolls batteries at this point as a reference for design, and budgeting. I am still looking at alternatives (cost effective and life expectancy). So many choices out there my brain hurts. So, I'm open to suggestions!

I know the 3.2kw is more than the storage of the 600s. My plan to use the genny to make up for the shortfall until I get another string in place. Within a month or 2 at most.

MtnDon
# Posted: 7 Apr 2014 12:58

Month or so should be no issue. Other than double freight if you need to have them shipped. Have you priced them at thesolarbiz.com? They are in NM but can arrange for shipping or pickup close to where the buyer is. And I have seen them beat every other price doing it.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.