Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / running 12v dc through 120 v ac wiring
borisvonf
# Posted: 3 May 2010 11:32

i apologize in advance for asking a stupid question that has probably already been answered here, but i could not find the answer.
i have a 12x28 storage building with front porch and rear shed that is wired for a/c with overhead lights. i would like to set up a solar system and was wondering about running 12v dc throught the existing wiring. it would be used to run 1 light on porch, 2 in cabin and 1 in shed (rarely). also would use outlet to run 12v dc fan.
i know that dc loses voltage over distance, but how much distance matters.
i realize that i could simply run 120 ac with inverter but was hoping to be more efficient with strainght dc.
thanks for a great site!
have composting toilet up and going and the whole family enjoyed cabin last weekend.
cheers

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 3 May 2010 12:12

Hi borisvonf,

Check out this wiring cabin post. It also has a link to the Voltage Drop Calculator.

rayyy
# Posted: 23 Jan 2011 12:21

I think as long as your solar system is located near the building and you have your ac power lines removed so there is no chance of connection ,you can convert it over.you can buy 12 volt light bulbs to go in a standard 120 light fixture now days.

larryh
# Posted: 24 Jan 2011 23:37

Yes the smaller size wire drops the current faster than a heavier wire. I did use the standard wiring for the side runs off of a #6 copper wire that runs from the battery to the rooms though the attic. That way you can have the same draw at the full length of the house. If the building is rather small I would guess that if your only running limited things standard house wiring would work. I soldered all my connections to switches and outlets as it was suggested to cut down on possible loss of power at those points from corrosion.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.