Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Back feeding from a generator into power outlets
rugercpl
# Posted: 9 May 2014 18:12

Hello all, I have an off grid cabin currently running on a Honda eu2000 generator setup for propane. The cabin panel box is setup with a cord to the generator to power the circuits. I can also just run a "suicide cord" from the generator into one of the wall sockets to power the rest of the outlets and the ceiling lights.

I want to get a portable solar powered generator (plug and play battery box with panels) so my question is can I also back feed from one of these units (probably a 3000 watt pure sine wave unit) and power the other outlets like I can do with the eu2000?

MtnDon
# Posted: 9 May 2014 19:02

Suicide cords are very aptly named. I think you can tell my opinion of them by that.

Yes you can connect the solar powered plug n play box as you do with the Honda. Not both at the same time as at least one of them will lose their magic smoke.

There are relatively inexpensive and safe to use "inlets" available for connecting any generator to a building.

http://smile.amazon.com/ParkPower-150BBIWRV-White-Power-Inlet/dp/B002QALLOQ/ref=sr_1_ 2?ie=UTF8&qid=1399676473&sr=8-2&keywords=power+inlet

http://smile.amazon.com/Leviton-4937-Weatherproof-Wallplate-Receptacle/dp/B00074USHY/ ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1399676473&sr=8-3&keywords=power+inlet

not recommending any particular one, just recommending them as a better idea.

rugercpl
# Posted: 9 May 2014 20:16

Thx for the links....it's on my list!

rugercpl
# Posted: 13 May 2014 10:46 - Edited by: rugercpl

MtnDon
Thanks MtnDon. Be Prepared Solar is advising that their solar generator(s) may not be able to provide power in the manner I described stating that back feeding may not be able to push enough power through a 3-prong cord to an existing outlet to the panel box and to the other outlets....however as I said my eu2000 does this just fine.

Is there any reason why this wouldn't work Mtn Don or potentially be a problem for my light electrical needs? The system I have in mind from Be Prepared Solar is here....

http://www.bepreparedsolar.com/Pure-Sine-Wave-Solar-Generator-Solar-Panels-p/3-200psw .htm

I am using their recommended formula to size the system. My needs are very similar to this example below that they have on their website:

".......How many watts do you need to run total for the day?

Example: 32" TV 125 Watts X 4 Hours = 500 Watt Hours
Lamp 50 Watt X 6 Hours = 300 Watt Hours
Laptop 120 Watt X 3 Hours =360 Watt Hours

Total Watt Hours Needed: 1160 Watt Hours

To determine what size your battery bank should be: Times the number of battery amp hours by 12 Volts. This gives you the total watt hours. You don't want to discharge the battery bank by more than 60% on a regular basis so X the number of total watt hours by 60% and this gives you the usable watt hours.

Example: A Battery Bank Of 200ah X 12 Volts =2400 Total Watt hours (Remember You Don't want to discharge the batteries more than about 60% on a regular basis)

2400 Watt Hours X 60% = 1440 Usable Watt Hours. So, the answer to the above question would be: You need a 200ah battery bank to run those items all together."

I just want a portable system like this that I can use for 4-5 hours per night on the occasional weekend without having to hardwire it and being able to take it away when the cabin gets closed for extended periods of time. As long as I can back feed with it then I want to buy it.

Thanks

MtnDon
# Posted: 13 May 2014 11:20

I believe the only limit would be the amperage capacity of the outlet/inlet and wires involved. If either the cabin wiring or the outlet / inlet are rated at 15 amps, that would be the maximum safe current.

It's no more difficult to "push" the current in; just have the wires, etc sized for the load that will be pushed through. Their unit can put out more current than 15 amp wires can handle... so the wiring and devices are the limiting factor

rugercpl
# Posted: 13 May 2014 21:47

That helps thx. The outlet that the proposed generator will back-feed into runs to a 20 amp breaker in the panel. It is not shared or daisy-chained with other outlets or switches. Is that any help to figure out if it is safe to give this a shot?

MtnDon
# Posted: 13 May 2014 22:37

Are you going to install one of those outlets that are designed to be a safe inlet... one you can use a standard male / female extension cord? A 20 amp size to be safe on the current flow?

There should really be a transfer switch to make it physically impossible to have both the gasoline generator and the battery / inverter unit both connected live at the same time. All it takes is a brain fart, or someone not familiar with the system to have a serious injury or a fatality. Not to mention damaging one or both generators.

Theoretically there is no problem with using the battery/inverter generator to supply the power. The real concern centers around you and your family and any other person on site being safe as well as not making a boo-boo that damages equipment.

Maxwake
# Posted: 6 Aug 2014 11:07

I want to do something similar to this and have searched various posts on this site about using power inlets. I have a EU2000i generator too and plan to use a power inlet like the ones linked above. My question is what then goes on the inside? Its best to have a breaker panel or does it not matter? Can someone provide a link of what might work?

I only intend to power a light or two, a small exhaust fan and a small water pump. Can I do those 3 things with just a 15amp setup?

Thanks so much for help!

ILFE
# Posted: 6 Aug 2014 13:03

rugercpl,

Something like this may be another option for you, regarding connecting a generator to your cabin:

6 Circuit Transfer Switch

You could wire specific circuits into it and decide what you wish to run simultaneously.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 6 Aug 2014 21:09

Buy one of these, works identical to your dead mans cord except legal and safe.

http://smile.amazon.com/Leviton-5278-CWP-Receptacle-Industrial-Grounding/dp/B003ATXIB G/ref=pd_cp_hi_2

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.