Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / How to charge battery and use at same time
groingo
# Posted: 21 May 2014 22:51

I am using a gas generator to recharge batteries, what do I need to be able to charge and use batteries at the same time?

MtnDon
# Posted: 21 May 2014 23:17 - Edited by: MtnDon

Generator powering a battery charger that feeds the batteries? Not 12 VDC off something like a Honda EU?

Nothing special, IMO.

People charge batteries and use them at the same time all the time especially when they have PV panels. For example our PV panels charge our batteries and at the same time we may use the TV, stereo, toaster or microwave oven. Charge goes into the batteries while the inverter draws what it needs to power the stuff we are using. The water pump is 12 VDC directly off the batteries (via a 24 to 12 VDC converter) as are a few indoor lights.

groingo
# Posted: 21 May 2014 23:34

I must not be getting enough sleep, the solution was ultra simple, since the cabin only reqires 6 watts I just use generator plug 1 to power the house and plug 2 to run the charger...easy to keep seperate.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.