Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Battery power looking good then.....
groingo
# Posted: 27 May 2014 18:15

Looking to be right on target at a full four days between charges then it appears my old reliable charger has other plans as it is putting out only 11.47 Volts and charge times are now over 10 hours rather than 7 at 50% discharge yet all in all nothing that doesn't look to be resolvable' I pick up the new charger tonight.

Funny how the new technology uses more energy than the old, my old charger had an input rating of 2 amps while the new digital version is between 3 to 3.5 Amps for the same output amperage.....progress I guess.

The new charger is just the updated version (mechanical not digital) and requires only 2 amps input.

creeky
# Posted: 28 May 2014 10:45

Groingo, I hope your new charger does higher voltages. I would be charging at at least 14.5 (as recommended by Crown.)

What's up with the tractor these days?

groingo
# Posted: 28 May 2014 12:18

I am doing things a bit differently in that I am competing with grid power rates and for this to pencil out I must be able to make all the power I need for less than I pay the utility which averages around 15 dollars a month.
To do this I need to keep cost in line so the charger must be able to make 10 amps and keep under the 25% power output threshold of the generator to keep fuel consumption as low as possible to keep fuel cost down.
I've spoken with Crown at length and they say with the manual charger at 10 amps it will definitely extend battery life and should pose no problems but just to be sure the new charger also has a 2 amp setting as well for topping off.
With this and my low power consumption the numbers do work thus far, just need to do some fine tuning on the equipment.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.