Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Battery charger hunt continues
groingo
# Posted: 25 Jun 2014 14:54 - Edited by: groingo

Long story short, got the new charger and all of Schumacher's assurances and information that this charger would not drop below 10 amps until the battery was 70 to 80 percent charged (that was what made this charger special)... turned out to be hot air!
It performed just like every other charger which meant it began reducing charge within mere minutes... .dropping from 10 amps to 8 on batteries that were at 40% charge.
Moving onto the next step I am going to try a "power station" which is made by. Japlar Shauer and is a constant voltage charger that is not supposed to vary, will see, the reason a more efficient charger is such a priority is that it has the potential to significantly reduce charge time and increase charge levels when using a generator recharge system.
In the end, I still have solar as a backup plan but this method is so much simpler that if I can make it work it can make relatvely cheap off gridding a bit morre attractive, if not, I am learning a hell of a lot!

creeky
# Posted: 25 Jun 2014 17:55

coughPowerMaxboondockercough

groingo
# Posted: 25 Jun 2014 18:41 - Edited by: groingo

Nice stuff but way more than I need.
My main criteria is the charger cannot require more than 360 watts to operate, that has been revised up a bit but is necessary to reduce load on the geny for best fuel mileage... which is what this ballancing act is all about, to keep it as cost effective as possible.

P.S. Sounds like hay fever eh...

creeky
# Posted: 26 Jun 2014 09:29

If you charge at a higher voltage you'll pack power in faster. So, run your genny for seven hours and sort of charge the batteries at a low voltage; or run the genny at a higher voltage for four hours and give 'Em a righteous fill.

The batteries will perform better for more years in scenario two. And a quicker charge should use the least gas. I&i.

New Bob cd has me all rasta...

groingo
# Posted: 26 Jun 2014 11:11

That is exactly what this charger is supposed to do, problem till now is the other charger makers have promised theirs would do this but not delivered, fingers crossed on this one.

creeky
# Posted: 26 Jun 2014 12:48 - Edited by: creeky

lad yer be takin' a car battery charger to an off grid battery battle

groingo
# Posted: 26 Jun 2014 13:25 - Edited by: groingo

This is what should arrive tomorrow.
http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-chargers/12-volt/multi-volt-input/JAC0891-41.html

creeky
# Posted: 26 Jun 2014 13:50

gunslinger. that's what I'm talkin' aboot.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.