Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Solar power system....will this work?
rugercpl
# Posted: 29 Jun 2014 16:25

My off-grid cabin is wired similarly to a regular house..outlets, lights and light switches and panel box. For electricity I back-feed from an eu2000 to an outlet mounted outside the house.

Will a system configuration like this one in the link below also work by back-feeding into an outlet?

http://www.bepreparedsolar.com/Pure-Sine-Wave-Solar-Generator-Solar-Panels-p/3-300psw .htm

rugercpl
# Posted: 29 Jun 2014 19:09

I should add that I currently back-feed from the eu2000 via a dedicated outlet running to the panel box that is setup so it powers up the entire panel box. It works flawlessly to power lights, outlets, and a TV. I hope the solar power system will do the same. The two systems will never be run simultaneously which would be catastrophic, in fact the gas generator won't be wired to anything once the solar system is installed, and only kept on hand as a system to recharge the batteries should they ever need it.

Atlincabin
# Posted: 29 Jun 2014 19:10

I would just wire the solar system direct into your panel. I don't know what the details of the inverter are, but presumably there is also a plug-in for charging the battery from "grid power" (which in this case is your Honda) on cloudy days if you run the batteries down too far. If there is not such a plug-in, it would be worth a few extra bucks to get an inverter than also has charging capability.

My two cents.
Greg

rugercpl
# Posted: 29 Jun 2014 19:37 - Edited by: rugercpl

Thx Greg.... To recharge the batteries on this system via the eu2000, this separate 110V vehicular battery charger is used from eu2000 to the battery terminals. http://www.bepreparedsolar.com/2-Bank-Battery-Charger-Maintainer-p/15awc.htm

The solar generator cannot be used at the same time it's being recharged according to the system builder (Be Prepared Solar). The manufacturer doesn't offer an inverter with charging capability for this unit. It's a little more work I know. Thanks for that suggestion!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.