Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Solar panel polarity help
bad dancer
# Posted: 12 Jul 2014 18:57

My himin hg-185 has no indicators whatsoever as to the pos/neg attachments in the back if the junction box. None !! It's hard to see from the picture, there are two receptacles under each "cross". Any ideas or info from anyone. My panel did not come with any outlet cables from the box. Would I connect one wire on each side of the diode ?

Frustrated on Savary!!
Juction box
Juction box

MtnDon
# Posted: 12 Jul 2014 21:38 - Edited by: MtnDon

A digital voltmeter connected across the two panel connections will provide the answer. If it reads a negative value then reverse the leads; the panel terminal the red meter lead is connected to is positive when the meter reads in positive values.

Use the meter to check voltage output at the terminals. It would be reasonable to believe positive would be on one side of the diode and negative on the other. But it would have been more reasonable to expect proper MC4 connectors on short wire leads to be provided by the factory. To be sold as an approved panel that should have been the case.

bad dancer
# Posted: 13 Jul 2014 00:34

Wow. Nice response. I also just read that positive is on the side of diode with the stripe. Yes it would be reasonable to expect proper connectors. If this is the case, would it be a good idea to run multiple connectors on either side of the diode, all leading to my one wire out of the collar ? This seems to me to be efficient use of wire output. Obviously not an electrician.

MtnDon
# Posted: 13 Jul 2014 00:40 - Edited by: MtnDon

Quoting: bad dancer
positive is on the side of diode with the stripe.

[headslap] ... why didn't I remember that?

Not sure what you mean by multiple connectors.... you mean under that plastic piece there are a multitude of wires..... as long as the factory has all the cells series / parallel connected to the one point where that diode is bridging I believe that is all you'd have to connect to. ??? Have you a digital voltmeter? Place the panel in direct bright sun... if the voltage reads at or close to the Voc to Vmp value you should be good at that.

bad dancer
# Posted: 13 Jul 2014 01:52

Ok so we have polarity solved. Check. Now, under each plastic piece with the cross has room for two receptacles. When you push a wire in it kind of bits it and does not allow it to come back out too easily. So that makes 4 holes (receptacles) for a wire on each side of the diode. My question was do I connect 1 wire out of each hole and then connect them all together past the collar or should I be fine with one simple wire into one of those connector receptacles ?

Thanks

MtnDon
# Posted: 13 Jul 2014 02:30

I don't know for sure.

It depends on unknown to me factors... like are they to be connected in series or in parallel? Or a combination?

I don't know the panel but my guess is it has 72 cells. Probably all in series but maybe not. I don't know, from a distance, what should be connected to what and how. If you place/prop it in direct sun and measure voltages at those connection points you might be able to figure it out. Typical cells put out approx 0.5 volts each.

Have you tried asking the vendor what is supposed to be done? Was there supposed to be wiring there already? Were there supposed to be MC-connectors already in place? I've not seen a panel that did not have a pos and a neg wire with connectors in place. Some old ones had terminal boxes with connectors you'd wire to with your own wires.

bad dancer
# Posted: 13 Jul 2014 12:51

I bought the panel new in the box from a guy whose greenhouse solar project ran out of money. He was selling them off to recover costs. I have since lost his number. He would definitely give me the answers if I could get in touch but I can't. The google has given me this from a web site.
http://www.microstrain.ie/pdfs/185wDatasheet-Microstrain.pdf

If I could just see a picture if the back junction box with the wire that are supose to come out, I'm sure I would be ok. Ughhhh.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.