Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / 2 un-used cisterns, looking for creative ideas on what to do with them?
RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 19 Jul 2014 20:50 - Edited by: RichInTheUSA

When I bought my cabin this past March, there were two un-used 1,000 gallon white cisterns on the property. The previous owner had used them for water storage before putting in a well.

One is in the crawlspace and is too big to remove (it was put in the crawlspace as the foundation was built, but before the rest of the cabin was built on top of it). The second one is outside behind my shed.

I'm looking for ideas on practical applications for them. My cabin is located on the top of a hill, with about a 60 foot drop to a creek. Here is a video taken from the bottom of the hill, so that you can see the cabin on the top of the hill. The cabin has running water with modern plumbing (kitchen sink, bathroom/shower), so I have those covered, but may want to have a back up in case the electricity goes out, or if I choose to go off-grid.

There are a few options for filling them with water: 1) use the well (not off grid unless I also get solar ) 2) divert water from the downspouts. 3) Pump water from my creek.

Any ideas? Perhaps an outdoor shower part of the way down the hill? Perhaps just emergency drinking water.

Thanks in advance for your input and ideas.

bldginsp
# Posted: 20 Jul 2014 00:39

I'd set them up to fill with rain water since it would use a lot of gas or elec to fill them that way and strain on your pump. Collected rainwater needs to be carefully collected so you get a minimum of organic matter in there, too much will create a biology experiment which you don't want. A first flush diverter is very helpful to do this. I'd also make sure the tanks are kept out of sun. I assume they are plastic and the ultraviolet light will harm them eventually

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 20 Jul 2014 08:18

Thanks. I'm going to use a Good Ideas Rain Diverter that I already ordered.

Yes, they are plastic. For the one that is outdoors.. should I paint it black?

Here are the obvious applications:

* Water for a garden/grass.
* Water for livestock or chickens (don't have any right now)
* Emergency drinking water (would need to be filtered & treated).

I'm looking for other applications that people have use their rainwater for.

bldginsp
# Posted: 20 Jul 2014 10:54

I'd paint the outside one as light a color as you are willing to look at so that it will not absorb heat from the sun, which will promote bacteria. I think that to get paint to stick to polyethylene you have to abrade the entire surface and use a good primer.

If they are white colored, not black or dark green, they are not designed to keep light out so you need to use paint that will do so, or enough coats to do so.

Rainwater is inherently risky to drink. I collect rainwater and was thinking of getting a Berkey type water filter which will eliminate most threats in drinking water and is in common use around the world for the purpose.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 20 Jul 2014 15:35

I add chlorine to my rainwater and then use it for showers and dishes (I drink "city" water" that I bring to my weekend cabin). Many municipalities use chlorine to treat lake/river water. There are guidelines for amount of chlorine/gallon and chlorine shelf life. Others use hydrogen peroxide to treat their water. There are threads about this on this forum.

As far as risk, there is risk in just about all things cabin. We as individuals need to understand the risks and mitigate as needed to suit our comfort levels.

Although I'm confident the rainwater can be treated/safe for drinking, I've read that rainwater doesn't taste "right" as it lacks minerals that flavor groundwater which many of us are used to. So I pack a few gallons for drinking/cooking and use rainwater for everything else.

When it comes to water, better to have and not need than need and not have. Please deliver any unused cistern tanks to my McArthur, OH cabin!

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 20 Jul 2014 18:54

Thanks you all for the advice.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.