Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / off the grid heating while away
tim
# Posted: 31 May 2010 18:41

I live in NE ohio and would like to build a small A-frame to live in all year round. I want to be off the grid, but I'm not sure how to heat the cabin while I am at work (a good 9 hours a day). Any suggestions?

Rob_O
# Posted: 31 May 2010 22:13

Passive solar and lots of insulation is your best bet

goober
# Posted: 1 Jun 2010 07:00

add to above:

a propane heater with automatic thermostat that works without electricity (i.e. no internal fans.) don't use the catalytic type with open flame in the room, as they use up room oxygen and may pose a suffocation/carbon monoxide hazard. instead, use a sealed combustion chamber type with both intake & exhaust to the outside such as:
http://www.rural-energy.com/catalog/product/288

in addition, to save propane costs, have a wood stove, surrounded by material such as soapstone or brick that absorbs heat when the fire is going (while you are present), then releases it slowly after fire goes out (while you are at work.)

you can use the wood stove whenever you are home and build up a heat reserve. on mild days, after you leave the reserve might last until you return. on severely cold days the propane will come on while you are away to prevent freezing. this system will conserve propane as opposed to using propane continuously for all heat.

also have all pipes either exposed to the inside, or at most hidden in interior walls (never in exterior walls.)

hinterland
# Posted: 15 Jun 2010 13:30

Hi, Do you know of any source in Canada with this type of propane heater? We use an Amish Wood Cook stove, rated to heat 2500'. Our cabin is only 450' but we travel in the winter to the trapline and when we get back, our place is froze up, tired of throwing out food.
The Amish stove takes a good 2 days to return heat to the logs again.
We just want something that will keep it barely above freezing for a two week period on propane.
Thanks,
Hinterland

goober
# Posted: 17 Jun 2010 11:27

not familiar with canadian sources, but did recently research and buy such type heater. i looked at:

eskabe 10 yr warranty
11K btu $530 houseneeds.com
$522 asapheat.com (497 + 25 shipping)

empire
MV-130 14K-6K btu, 24.5H, 27W, 6.75D
$420 propaneproducts.com free shipping ***best buy***
$489 shophmac.com free shipping
$635 ebay.com free shipping

dv-210
10K btu

dv-215
15K btu

us stove
homecomfort
DV8 7.5K btu $404 (364 + 40 shipping) ebay
DV21 18K btu $540 (475 + 65 shipping) ebay

housewarmer
8K btu $440 ebay

in the end i bought the mv130 from propaneproducts.com @ $420; they shipped it out same day i ordered, and got a ups shipping receipt by email same day i ordered, i shoul dhave it monday. we shall see....

goober
# Posted: 22 Jun 2010 23:05

well the mv130 arrived in perfect condition on monday as promised.
i'm very satisfied with the price & quick delivery from that company.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.