Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Underground Battery Storage
spence
# Posted: 24 Jul 2014 21:53 - Edited by: spence

I use my cabin 0-2 weekends per month, all year long depending on how busy I am. I am getting ready to set up a small solar system utilizing two 6V golf cart batteries. I do not want to store these in the cabin for a number of reasons, but my main concern is freezing in the winter. I do not want to have to tote these in and out each time as it is a long-ish 4 wheeler ride to the cabin so the less gear the better.

My area gets pretty cold in the winter, but no texactly frigid(SW Virginia Mountains, around 3000' elevation) The charts say I have a frost line of about 10-15"?

I have the means to make a waterproof stainless steel box to sink the batteries below frost line, does anyone have experience with this tactic, and is it sufficent to keep the batteries above freezing temp?? My plan would be to have the batteries about 18" below frost line, insulate the lid(at ground level) with a couple inches of foam board and to have some type of vent at the very top to avoid gasses building up inside.

Is this crazy or am I thinking on the right track?

razmichael
# Posted: 24 Jul 2014 22:19

If you continue to keep them charged then this is really overkill I suspect. Fully charged they will not freeze until the neighborhood of -70C (-94F). Assuming they are still connected to the panels and the charge controller maintains them, you may not need to worry. I kept my batteries at the cabin last winter (in Quebec - some very cold nights) and I know that the panels spent time with snow on them but had no problems. They continues to provide power to my "security" circuit which included a couple of outdoor security lights on motion sensors. As long as they do not discharge much, freezing should not be an issue. Trojan has a pdf on this at Battery Freezing

spence
# Posted: 24 Jul 2014 22:24 - Edited by: spence

Hmmmm, i knew charged batteries were more resisitant to cold, but I didn't realize it was that much... Good info. What type of baterries are you running in your setup?

I guess I just worried because its not a heated structure, and could be below freezing for long periods of time since I go less in the winter.

Your PDF indicated a 50% charged battery shoudl be good to around 0 degrees F, which is generally as cold as the air temp will get at my area. So as long as i leave the batteries in decently charged condition when i turn off the heater and leave I guess i will be OK.

I definitely tend to over think things, I would glad do this an easier way.

groingo
# Posted: 24 Jul 2014 22:34 - Edited by: groingo

I'd just weight the pros and cons to avoid buying new next season... .If in doubt take them out.

Just
# Posted: 24 Jul 2014 22:39

keep them charged they will be fine .my flood batteries were below freezing for 100 days as low as -15 f. last winter . my first set of batteries lasted 6 years and i expect the new ones to last longer.

razmichael
# Posted: 24 Jul 2014 22:59 - Edited by: razmichael

"What type of baterries are you running in your setup?" Pair of Trojan T-105 6V batteries. 2x165 panels. We hit lows of -30f last winter. Although this winter the batteries will also be in an insulated box last winter they were not.

creeky
# Posted: 25 Jul 2014 12:21

2 winters ago I ran my batteries without heating in a cold climate: batteries hit a low of -17C (1F). No problems to report other than very poor performance. Acceptable as I was only running led lighting.

Putting your batteries in a hole in the ground, while not required, is a pretty good idea. Anything to keep 'em warmer.

For us cold climate guys, you know, a 10-12 degree C battery in the middle of winter is pretty good. I had to heat my batteries with propane last winter just to keep them around 5-7 (40F).

Cost me more in propane than I spent on gas genny charging during the cloudy months.

I'd have to put longer cables on the battery to bus bar connection, but the backhoe goes on the tractor next month. hmmm.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.