Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Baking without an oven
Steve961
# Posted: 26 Jul 2014 22:39

When I was building my small off-grid hunting cabin, I purposefully chose to omit the oven. First, I didn't plan on doing a lot of baking. Second, I didn't want to give up the cabinet space in my small kitchen. I did install a two burner propane cooktop though, and also have a Jotul 602 wood stove that I can use for cooking in the winter.

I had originally planned on getting an Omnia cooktop oven, which is very popular in the boating community, to make cornbread and coffee cakes and such. The problem with these is that they are limited to a single Bundt style pan and have no way to gauge the temperature.

While looking for alternatives, I found a solution others might be interested in - the vintage West Bend Ovenette. The Ovenette is basically a miniature oven that is heated above a gas burner. The main benefit of the Ovenette over the Omnia is that it can use standard baking pans, although it's limited to 8" diameter or less. The original Ovenette even came with a cake pan, pie pan, roasting pan (for a small chicken I assume), seven muffin tins, and an integrated thermometer.

Shortly thereafter I found an excellent condition Ovenette with all the accessories on eBay for about $50. I did upgrade the oven with a more modern non-stick cake pan to make cleanup a little easier. I've been using it to make cornbread and Pillsbury cinnamon rolls and have been impressed with its performance. The thermometer on mine's about a 100 degrees off though, so I have to account for the difference - still, it's better than nothing. It seems that these show up on eBay regularly for less than $50, so they should be easy to find if anyone's interested.
Ovenette_1.jpg
Ovenette_1.jpg
Ovenette_2.JPG
Ovenette_2.JPG
Ovenette_3.JPG
Ovenette_3.JPG

Wilbour
# Posted: 26 Jul 2014 23:07

Cool, I mean HOT!
Since you posted this, all the ebay listed Ovenette's have been sold! Not really but this is a neat idea. Looks like it's a lot faster than my wife's solar oven

groingo
# Posted: 26 Jul 2014 23:17

Is that corn bread?
Regardless, looks great will get hunting for one myself, now I have to get a snack!

Steve961
# Posted: 26 Jul 2014 23:23

Nothing fancy, just Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix.

groingo
# Posted: 26 Jul 2014 23:39

Same stuff I use.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 27 Jul 2014 00:03

Dutch Oven, love those things. Pricey, but fun to use.

darz5150
# Posted: 27 Jul 2014 00:21 - Edited by: darz5150

try taking some chili, beef stew, or really any thick soup or stew. ( left over or canned ) put it in a baking pan or cast iron skillet, then put corn bread mix on the top of it and bake it. You get the great combination flavor of corn bread and chili or whatever. Its sort of like a redneck pot pie without making a big mess.

darz5150
# Posted: 27 Jul 2014 01:02

I took a patio brick and cut it down to fit inside our grill. Just fire up the grill and let the brick heat up and it works just like a regular oven. I put aluminum foil on the brick with a little cooking spray on it,
and it makes an awesome pizza. It has a great smokey flavor, like the old time pizza parlors with the wood fired ovens. We have also made biscuits, cheesey potato casseroles and even French fries. You can buy a patio brick any where for a couple bucks. The brick holds an even temp so you won't burn the bottom.

bldginsp
# Posted: 27 Jul 2014 02:05

Coleman makes a folding oven that fits over a stove burner for its heat:

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-5010D700T-Camp-Oven/dp/B0009PURJA

but I thought that someone made a folding camper's oven that operated by propane bottle, but I searched and can't find it. Folding would be important to me so it can be stored away in the cabin when not in use. Several other small propane ovens are available but they don't fold.

Nirky
# Posted: 27 Jul 2014 02:57

I'm looking to find an old rv that someone is parting out or selling cheap. One reason-the propane range that comes in most rv's is perfect cabin size. That little sink is perfect size also.
rv_range2.jpg
rv_range2.jpg

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 27 Jul 2014 11:17 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: Nirky
I'm looking to find an old rv that someone is parting out or selling cheap. One reason-the propane range that comes in most rv's is perfect cabin size. That little sink is perfect size also.

You dont say? (great minds think alike)

I did just that Magic Chef for $100. Has a pilot light for the burners and oven. You can turn the burner pilots off (under the top with a screwdriver and manually light to save propane, I did that) and the oven knob has a pilot off feature, which I used except when baking.

Works great. Newer ones may require battery for a piezo ignition.

It has a stainless cover to give me more counter space when .
flooring.jpg
flooring.jpg

cabingal3
# Posted: 27 Jul 2014 14:06

the family out at our woods bakes pies and cookies and bread s in there bbq grill.
such a good idea.
i have a camp stove with an over.sure do love it.

Steve961
# Posted: 27 Jul 2014 15:29

There are other benefits to using an Ovenette type device. First, for small baking needs, it uses much less propane than would be required to heat up a full sized oven. Second, during the summer months it also adds much less heat to a small cabin than a typical oven.

Baking in a outdoor grill sounds nice, but it probably uses a lot more propane than the Ovenette. An outdoor grill is so much more versatile though that I do want to get one at the cabin someday.

countrygirl
# Posted: 29 Jul 2014 14:26

love finding new ways to cook, West Bend Ovenette I'll have to get one! How dose the cook time differ, more or less time?

Dutch Oven all the way right now for me make bread, cake, and roasts. Love sitting by the fire and watch food cooking.
pot roast
pot roast
cooking
cooking
dumplings going on
dumplings going on
all readly to eat
all readly to eat

Steve961
# Posted: 29 Jul 2014 15:25

Quoting: countrygirl
How dose the cook time differ, more or less time?

The cooking time has been longer in some cases. The reason for this is that the Ovenette has a small thermal mass. When you add a cake pan with room temperature mix in it, it tends to drop the oven temperature for a while. This can be alleviated by turning the cooktop up for a few minutes after adding item, but you do have to watch that it doesn't get too hot.

Nirky
# Posted: 29 Jul 2014 17:54 - Edited by: Nirky

Mdt, your cabin is very cool. And you really are a smart guy.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Jul 2014 21:17

Nirky, I did get the sink out of the same RV too (double basin stainess), havent cut the hole in the counter, no plumbing in place.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.