Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Is theft of Solar Systems a common issue?
CaptCanuck
# Posted: 2 Aug 2014 14:28

I'm considering some kind of solar power setup for the cabin we are building here:

http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/6_4752_0.html

It has been suggested to me that putting solar in at a weekend use cabin like this would be a mistake, and would attract thieves.

Any thoughts?

bldginsp
# Posted: 2 Aug 2014 17:13

I have seen no statistics or heard from law enforcement or solar installers on this issue. Here in the San Francisco area there are a lot of solar installations going up, but in a city environment a thief would look pretty silly on someone's roof. But at a weekend cabin they would be less likely to be seen, I guess.

Since solar systems have to be designed as a whole, taking into consideration the number of panels, their voltage, total amperage, charge controller to match, batteries to match, if a thief took a few components they would have to design their new system around the stolen components, which is problematic. Like stealing an engine for the purpose of building a car around it. If they tried to sell the components on the internet, you would be watching with your purchase receipt in hand to show the police.

Still, I suppose there are people out there hungry enough to risk it. I'd talk to the local cops and see if they have ever seen that in the area.

Just
# Posted: 2 Aug 2014 22:49

My place is water access only in southern ont. panels on the roof never had a problem . the only thing that is outside is the panels , total cost 60 watts 150 $ charge controller , battery and inverter inside , not that it matters we don't lock the door . the whole system only cost about 400$
it runs led. and CFL lights ,water pump flowjet ,radio ,small tv , fan ,1 or 2 days a week . Makes being off grid very livable !!
cid_395.jpg
cid_395.jpg
cid_454.jpg
cid_454.jpg

SE Ohio
# Posted: 3 Aug 2014 20:28

Possibly uncommon. So many components with some smarts required to connect... Too much work for most lazy people, aka crooks.

MtnDon
# Posted: 3 Aug 2014 20:45

I don't think it is going to be a big worry. Unless the cabin is situated in a location where there already is a lot of theft and, or vandalism. If the area is crime ridden already then anything will be fair game for thieves and vandals.

That said, I also don't think the potential thieves will be looking for equipment they themselves will ultimately use. They will be stealing anything to sell. The thieves don't need expertise or brains. They use bolt cutters and battery powered cut off tools to quickly dismantle and remove. There are always people who will buy anything off Craigslist if it is priced below market.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.