Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Inverter & Microwave Question; Curious
MtnDon
# Posted: 7 Aug 2014 14:25 - Edited by: MtnDon

The question is, how many folks run a microwave on a modified sine wave (square wave) inverter?

And how well does it work for you? Have you compared the time to perform the same task on square wave and housepower (or a pure sine wave inverter)? Noisier? Takers longer?

I've never been impressed with microwave performance on modified sine wave myself.

Just
# Posted: 7 Aug 2014 18:21

we have a 700 watt oven and a 1000 watt square wave it's about 50 percent slower than on 110 but it dose work in a pinch . 3 min. to boil a mug of water

buckybuck
# Posted: 7 Aug 2014 20:07

I run a 1500 watt microwave with a 2000 watt modified sine wave inverter. The oven is painful to listen to--not necessarily louder, but kinda like it's struggling. And I'd guess things take about twice as long to heat up. I keep hoping the inverter fries so I can have an excuse to get a pure sine wave inverter. I should have listened to people who told me in advance to spend the extra money for a pure sine wave inverter.

toofewweekends
# Posted: 8 Aug 2014 02:15

Not much difference to notice on our 700w cheapo microwave running off an 1800w mod inverter. I suspect we run it a total of 45 minutes a year, so switching inverters hasn't been in the game plan.

# Posted: 11 Aug 2014 01:48 - Edited by: 780

I ran one on modsine for years, no problem, retired the modsign a couple years back, nothing wrong with it ran the whole house fine just got a good deal on a sine wave one, I dont remember noticing any difference.
More important is running the smallest one you can, and if your off grid and not running a inverter microwave your just wasting power. I run the house on 12 volts and with my mic when I set it to #3 it uses 47 amps, #4 57 amps,#5 80 amps,# 6 90 amps. I found when I was using the non inverter microwaves , turning down the power didnt really lower the dc draw from the batts like it should have.
I am using a panasonic 1200 watt, but I think they make a 900 watt one and that would likely be even better power wise. I only run the mic at higher or full power settings durring daylight hours when my two arrays can source 120 amps dc so I dont hammer my batts, anyway check them out they run great off either inverter.
Should add the no difference is with the inverter mic, I gave up on non inverter mics a long time ago so maybe non inverting mics are different between mod and sine.

# Posted: 8 Sep 2014 11:53

Looks like I have to change that answer. My inverter breaker would not reset on my sign wave so while I waited for a trip to town for another breaker I hooked my mod sign up for a few days and sure enough it makes a low buzzing sound, seemed to work about the same, but that noise would anoy me after a while. I dont remember it making this noise before. My cousin is a couple miles away,and he has the same modsign and same microwave. I stopped in and his makes no noise? Dont know what gives, maybe manufacturing irregularaties, or age, mine is 8 or so years old now and his is less than 2. also found out my fancy new Makita compound mitter saw wont work on this modsign at all, have other older types that work fine.

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 8 Sep 2014 12:07 - Edited by: LoonWhisperer

I just posted this link in my thread. Maybe you will find it useful:

INVERTER FAQ

Lots of examples and info including running microwaves. I found the calculator helpful for my application.

MtnDon
# Posted: 8 Sep 2014 16:15

Some good info there, but nothing I saw that relates to MSW performance as compared to pure sine wave. It has been nice to hear from real experiences of others. We all have different expectations. I have high expectations I suppose. I don't feel I should have to accept less performance from anything I have when I plug it into an inverter. I see a few others seem to agree.

creeky
# Posted: 11 Nov 2014 09:26

I've read that msw, because it's a square wave with steps doesn't have the peak that pure sine has being a wave. so these peaks are extra power for the microwave to use. hence your microwave is more powerful.

i can't really compare, as I toasted expensive "pro" cordless batteries with a msw so sold it. bought pure sine.

paulz
# Posted: 16 May 2021 21:08

Speaking of microwaves and inverters, what's the deal with inverter microwaves? I'm reading that they allow varying power output without having to switch between all and nothing (on and off). But what is going on, is there AC to DC conversion? Will an inverter micro work better on a low watt inverter if set to half power?

Nobadays
# Posted: 16 May 2021 21:19

What? No link? Here you are resurrecting a 2014 thread and you aren't spaming us?

Have no idea on your question

paulz
# Posted: 16 May 2021 22:16

Sorry no spam link. How about a spam picture of my knee after I took a spill yesterday.

Reminder: Get crutches to keep at cabin.
20210516_185720.jpg
20210516_185720.jpg

gcrank1
# Posted: 16 May 2021 22:35

Oh No, that looks ummmm, Not Good!
Fwiw, I blew/badly pulled? something in my rt knee last mid-late Sept. Scan showed nothing 'hard' so all they could tell me was 'soft tissue damage'. Stuck in my chair for 2 days, on both crutches for 2 wks, then 1, then a cane. At this point Im just starting to feel like it might be mostly 'back at one year out.
Be nice to it and start working it for even self-rehab asap if ok with the doc, otherwise the leg stiffens up and fades fast.
Hope you do well in recovery, Paul.

Nobadays
# Posted: 16 May 2021 22:49

Pretty... love how you used the purple, yellow and blue in there... sweet! Yikes man! Heal well!

paulz
# Posted: 17 May 2021 12:01

Thanks. Much better today. I managed to limp around on it all day yesterday straight legged.

I really am curious about inverter microwaves, and I believe welders and other things come with inversion. So what is the inversion doing?

Steve_S
# Posted: 17 May 2021 12:08

Dunno if it helps at all....
I have a Panasonic 1200W Inverter Nucleator.
At fullpower it uses 72A from a 24V battery bank.
Same if I have it set to 50% power level for cooking.

Just checked it.
Ohh, I am running a Pure Sine Inverter.

paulz
# Posted: 17 May 2021 12:44

Thanks Steve, yes that helps. Odd that it uses the same power, where is the extra power going at 50% I wonder.

Also still wonder what 'inverter' means. Searches I've done haven't explained it..

ICC
# Posted: 17 May 2021 15:39 - Edited by: ICC

When set to a partial power setting, say 50% a standard microwave turns the magnetron (the device that makes the heat waves) on and off repeatedly. Turned on it produces 100% heat output. Off it produces no heat output. The on and off cycle approximates the set 50% or whatever power level is set.

When an inverter microwave is set to 50% power it produces 50% heat output continuously. No on and off cycle. That cooks better and can preserve nutrients.

It has also been shown that an inverter microwave does a better job at defrosting frozen food. A standard microwave can easily cook a few edge spots during its on-off cycling. An inverter microwave can thaw more evenly with the edge to center temperature difference being less and the edges remaining uncooked. And in the test I saw the inverter microwave performed the thaw quicker. The units were similarly powered. The Panasonic 1200 inverter microwave thawed in about 5-1/2 minutes, the other 1100 watt standard microwave took almost 10 minutes and slightly cooked some edges while leaving some frost in the center.

They have been around for over 10 years. They do cost more and are not made in bargain basement price range. To do the same cook job they use 15% or so less total power.

ICC
# Posted: 17 May 2021 16:08

The term "inverter" gets tossed about rather loosely and may mean different things in different uses. Most simply put it often mean that the voltage used inside the device, be it a welder or a refrigerator or a heatpump, etc, is variable and that allows compressor motors to run at variable speeds in a heat pump or refrigerator. In a welder I believe it means the frequency of the voltage is varied.

IMO, the inverter term is used as a marketing word meaning more efficiency and lots of different "betters".

paulz
# Posted: 17 May 2021 22:03

Thanks ICC. Found this explanation on inverter appliances with motors

https://101appliance.com/inverter-technology/

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.