Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Crown Battery Fessus Up....Finally
groingo
# Posted: 16 Aug 2014 18:25 - Edited by: groingo

After going through 6 different battery chargers all seemed incapable of charging my Crown 235 ah batteries, the retailer finally comes clean that Crown had a battery problem but did not do a recall so my batteries managed to slip through the cracks, they only asked retailers to remove from their shelves.
The problem was the lead plates when made use peroxide to make them porus so electrons can move freely thought the plates, this was not happening in my case so the batteries ultimately would not charge, the peroxide stage got messed up.
The tipoff was the specific gravity readings which after a long or short charge were unchanged and near the dead zone no matter what you did, mine always read 1.210to 1.225 regardless and they were near impossible to charge and would not hold a charge.
The replacement batteries are at 1.275 and have yet to be charged and now after use actually bounce back (which others never did) but at least there is a viable explanation, to bad it too so long to get to the bottom of it.

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 17 Aug 2014 15:27

groingo,

Please use a single topic to share and discuss you experience with batteries and chargers - there is not need to open a new topic for each post.

Thanks.

groingo
# Posted: 28 Aug 2014 14:15

The new Crown batteries now into their second charge cycle since replacing are comfortably running 6 to 7 days between charges and rebounding nicely when not in use while the generator is now averaging 13 and 14 hours per half gallon but I have needed only 10 hours to fully charge so things are back on track.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.