Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / battery placement
borisvonf
# Posted: 7 Jun 2010 08:07

hey guys,
finally have my new cabin habitable. have a generator to run a/c and power tools but now am ready to add the solar. planning stages at this point.

i am in south carolina where it is hot, and i have a dark green metal roof. ideally i would like to place my batteries in the small attic but worry about heat damage to batteries. i could build a storage cabinet inside for batteries/inverter/charge controller but would like to save the minimal interior space. what are you guys doing?

thanks in advance for the advice. any other solar tips welcome.

bugs
# Posted: 7 Jun 2010 10:30

Hi B

According to my info if you want to have the batteries within a living space you will require sealed batteries. Much more expensive than unsealed.

Our situation is the opposite we want to store our batteries etc inside our shed where we can heat them so we can use them when it gets below freezing outside. We were also told inverters do not like to work when frozen.

Can I ask what you decided on for parts and wattage capacities?

bugs

islandguy
# Posted: 7 Jun 2010 21:52

originally I was going to install the battery outside in a vented box, but opted instead for a gel cell, and an indoor application. we have a small closet in our bedroom, and the bottom half is dedicated to utilities, including the pump, battery, charger, ect.
gel cell batteries, as mentioned by bugs, have no water or acid, and produce little or no gas during charging. The price was $300 for a deep cycle battery, but does have a 5 year warranty. good luck.

Vince P
# Posted: 8 Jun 2010 12:59

I keep my lead-acid deep cycle batteries under my cabin, each battery between a set of floor joists. I did build an enclosed storage/ crawl space under my cabin, but the ends of the floor joists are open to provided adequate ventilation for the batteries as well as my generator when needed.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.