Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Hand pump well issues
Justlb33
# Posted: 4 Sep 2014 12:15

Newbie to the forum.
I currently have a Monitor hand pump well that is approximately 140' deep. It freezes in the winter time which makes me think the check valve isn't allowing the water to drain back down. Any ideas how to fix this? Those well heads are not cheap! I have also been looking at an alternative to the hand pump. Cabin has solar panels for a few lights, but otherwise no electric or running water.

Thanks!!

MtnDon
# Posted: 4 Sep 2014 14:20 - Edited by: MtnDon

The whole idea of having a check valve is to prevent water from draining down. So the check valve sounds like it is working fine. But freezing can be a problem.

The usual method to deal with the freezing issue is to drill an 1/8" hole in the drop pipe below the local frost depth. That lets water drain down to that level where it won't freeze.

Justlb33
# Posted: 4 Sep 2014 16:07

Thx mntdon. Sounds like I need to get my shovel. I don't know much about the hand pumps.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 4 Sep 2014 20:23

I'd go even smaller, like 1/16th sized drill. It only need to dribble down. This is exactly how they keep livestock wells from freezing. They just pierce the pipe with the tip of an awl below the frost line, ie 4 feet or so.

Otherwise, it sounds like your "foot valve" is working properly by not allowing it to drain off. You wouldn't want to prime that 140 foot column of water every time you needed water anyway, water is heavy.

Justlb33
# Posted: 4 Sep 2014 21:03

Cool thanks. Is that pretty much the only way? They put a concrete pad around the well head. Could be a huge project. I go up maybe 4-5 times in the winter so maybe just bringing water would be easiest.

MtnDon
# Posted: 4 Sep 2014 21:06

FWIW...

http://www.handpumps.com/hand-pumps/monitor-hand-pumps/monitor-model-11hd-detail.html

- can be made freeze proof by drilling a 1/8" hole in the drop pipe (water supply pipe) below the frost depth in your local area

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.